Fly Fishing Forum banner

Florida Snook/Redfish (central/west coast)

4K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I'm planning a trip to Florida for the 2nd week in Sept. to the Sarasota area. I've read snook fishing is pretty good there. Can anyone recommend some spots for snook/redfish around Sarasota/Venice, and what I should be throwing for flies? I plan on fishing an 8wt. setup. Also, has anyone heard of "Snook Alley" in Venice, I'm having trouble finding whereabouts it is on a map, and how I might get there to fish?

Thanks for any info!

#5 · (Edited)
A jumping shrimp fly!

A jumping shrimp fly and dock lights. Talk about Snook heaven!!
If you ever come across a jumping shrimp imitation, please let me know!

A good night Snook fly that I've been having great luck with around here is an Umpqua Hot Flash Minnow. Its full of flash and really comes alive in the water. Its even caught Bonito this summer.

Don't forget to try the beaches for Snook early or late in the day. An intermediate line and a good bait fish imitation (like a Deceiver in all white, chartruse/white or olive/white) cast paralell to the beach should produce. Try some of the Polar Fiber bait fish imitations and don't froget to bring a few Clousers with you too. Try dragging the Clousers slowly on the bottom in medium to long strips. It seems to imitate a small Croaker here on the East Coast and works better then expected.

Good luck,

#8 · (Edited)
Capt.,
Sorry its the Hot FLASH Minnow not Hot FLASHY Minnow!

I first came across the Hot Flash Minnow at Bass Pro Shops. They have it in their catalog too. I've seen it in a few other catalog also. Maybe one of the sponsors here even carries them.
It comes in 2 colors(white/silver/chartruse/olive & lightbrown/gold/copper/black)and 2 different sizes. Its an Umpqua pattern and they have it in their 2001/02 pattern book and on their web site www.umpqua.com under streamer patterns. Any dealer that carries Umpqua flies should be able to get them for you.
Its tied with white Kinky Fiber as a tail and Angle Hair in a High Tie style.

Email me and let me know if you can't find them.

#10 ·
Finally!

Well, between charters and the dreaded Honey-Do list - I got out on the water yesterday to try out the new fly rod.
What A Blast! Even though I am sore from all that casting, I managed to land 6 Trout, 3 YellowTail Jacks, and A BlueFish.
I had one fish come up and grab my fly that was at least 24" long--all I saw was body-no head or tail-but that pup broke me off b-4 I had a chance to set the hook.
Once I get better with the rod-I'll be out at night after a Snook dinner.

Capt. Chuck

#11 ·
Great day out

Capt. Chuck,

Sounds like you had a great day out with the new fly rod. Did the Hot Flash Minnow produce on all those fish?

I hope your able to get out between the storms to try it out at the lights. Its been pretty wet over here and the wind has just now layed down enough to finally let us get out with the fly rods.

I've not had much luck with the Snook. Opening day brought out the weekend warriors, which made it hard to fish the usual haunts. I've gotten a couple shorts on fly and another two shorts on live bait the few days I was able to get out.
Small schools of Mullet are starting to show and a few Bluefish have already started to show up. The next couple weeks should be pretty explosive around the lights and bridges.

Good fishing,

#13 ·
Chuck -

Thanks for referring this business! Per our well-known policy, I look forward to reading your email suggesting they consider us for a sponsorship. Being a not-for-profit site, we are really a great advertising bargain, a lot of 'bang for the buck' as they say.

Our current goals are to get enough funds together to attend two winter flyfishing shows. You may be familiar with the costs, so every bit helps.

Make sure you CC' sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com for recordkeeping purposes.

#15 ·
Referring Non-Sponsors on FlyTalk
-------------------------------------------
To be fair to our existing sponsors who keep our lights on, when you post referrals to non-sponsor businesses we ask that you send an email to that business, CC: sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com, asking them to consider becoming a sponsor. This way everybody wins!

thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.