Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mixed week in Rhode Island

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FlyFishMich 
#1 ·
I spent the entirety of last week in Rhode Island, staying at a nice efficiency near Misquamicut Beach with my Dad and Bert. We expected to find things in early migration mode, but we didn't see any real evidence of that until the end of the week.

Without getting into a day by day replay of events, suffice it to say that the majority of stripers were still very much in a summer mode. Night fishing was decent, including two keepers for me at the mouth of the Narrow River, and the sight fishing behind Napatree was excellent for a few days. I ran into Quentin and he gave me some good intell. Thanks Q. :)

We expected to see birds over fish in front of the beaches, but they were spotty at best and usually about 300 yards out. Friday and Saturday started to look more like a migration pattern for the bluefish, with action closer to the beaches near Watch Hill, Weekapaug, and Central Beach. The bluefish didn't disappoint when they came close enough to shore or the jetties. :smokin:

Albies were seen busting way off of a few beaches, and trips to both Weekapaug and the West Wall were fruitless. Apparently in the middle of the week the West Wall exploded with action, but we of course weren't there.

Water temperatures are still warm, and the amount of bait that is typical for this time of year was not seen. Bait was scarce in spots were it is usually loaded up. I think that a cold snap or two will really kick things into gear, and that we were perhaps a week or two early for some really explosive action. But we caught fish each day, and some of the action was intense for brief periods of time.

See less See more
#3 ·
Mike, it was good seeing you again a few weeks back at the Sluiceway when I was chasing albies with Sean.

I forgot to mention the midnight sight fishing that Bert and I had one night behind the Andrea Hotel. The bass were in the wash, and with the lights you could pick your target and lead them with a well-placed fly. The surf, wind, and bait situations were perfect for that type of fishing. It was one of the most unique fishing experiences I've had in a very long time.

#4 ·
Dble Haul said:
Apparently in the middle of the week the West Wall exploded with action, but we of course weren't there.
They showed briefly on Wednesday but Thursday was THE day to be there and there were plenty around still on Friday. Only downside to the albie hunt was that I spent very little time fishing for bass and blues. Other than a bluefish on Wednesday and small bass on Friday, Weekapaug was very slow. One day I will eventually get the "shore grand slam". Of course last Friday all I needed was a bluefish....of all things:roll: .

The surf exploded near Ocean Mist at Matunuck on Saturday morning with large unidentifiable gamefish chasing good-sized bait all the way to the shoreline. Unfortunately, my rods were packed and my wife kept saying that we had to drive home, which we did. Now all I have are some pictures and great memories. My feeling is that the albies are still around and will make a good showing near shore again once the water settles down and clears.

Hopefully next year I can meet some others from this forum and fish with them. Phil (Bonefishmon) kept me entertained all Friday morning with stories of both fishing and life. And he is the man when it comes to jumping down onto slippery rocks to quickly grab, unhook, and torpedo back your tunoid:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.