Fly Fishing Forum banner

Stripers mixed with Sharks at Narragansett

5K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  gunner 
#1 ·
Anyone catch a shark on a fly?

That would be a great Rip Trip story...............

Jay

----------------------------

Beach closed to swimming after sharks sighted
By Associated Press, 7/8/2003 13:09

NARRAGANSETT, R.I. (AP) Town Beach in Narragansett was closed to swimmers Tuesday after sharks were sighted for the second time in two days.

Swimmers were cleared from the water Monday after two men saw sharks at the beach's south end.

Lifeguards and other public safety officials saw another shark late Tuesday morning, Andy Nota, director of the town's Parks and Recreation Department, told projo.com, the Web site of The Providence Journal.

Like the sharks seen Monday, this shark swam within 50 to 100 feet of shore, well within the normal swimming area, Nota said.

Officials are allowing people onto the beach, but they are restricting beachgoers from entering the water beyond their ankles.

That policy was expected to continue throughout Tuesday and until officials have some assurances that the beach is safe, Nota said.

''Even if we don't have sightings for several days, there's going to be limited access,'' he said.

Lifeguards patrolling the area have noticed a lot of striped bass and bluefish. Nota said he believes the sharks, looking for food, might have followed those smaller fish toward shore.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shark Sighting

I was flyfishing for stripers 7/20/05 off Sandwich Town Beach were the river exits the marsh at about 7:00 pm and saw what appeared to be a shark dorsal fin and tip of its tail. It was moving past the end of the jetty and parall to the beach. Has anyone else seen any sharks and does anyone know what kind they might be.
I estimated the dorsal fin to about as big as a persons head and the distance between the dorsal fin and tail to be around 6'. Distance from shore was around 100 to 150 yards and tide was low and starting to come in.

#3 ·
Last year I had a charter with two great guys from Seattle out on Monomoy. We were eyeballing the humps near the channel for cruisers when the harbor master motored over.

"Might want to move back a bit" he said with all of the nor-easter grit and grin that would make Robert Shaw proud. "There's a white shark here".

My clients looked at me puzzled, not knowing whether to be concerned or amused. I asked "when is the last time you saw it?"

He replied "just motored over it to come talk to you boys".

That got us moving, in fact we kept moving all the way to the grass flats!

Then of course there was that seal on South Monomoy with the semi-circular bite, the cut went right through the rig cage bones. Yikes.

#5 ·
shark bites

I was walking along craigville beach last week with my son when we came upon a striper estimated some where in the 20 - 25 lb range, everything right behind the dorsal fin was gone ,the only thing left was the perfect outline of a shark bite easily 12 inches wide .The striper was still bleeding leading me to believe this was a fresh kill.

#7 ·
About 7 years ago I was fishing in Fairfield CT in the early Fall. A friend and I were up to our waists in the surf. Relatively cruddy day, overcast, windy & drizzling. Out infront of us maybe 80ft or so we saw bluefish spray out of the water. Like silversides do when being chased. Anyway we saw some big swirling and then a dorsal. We watched the fin tear off down the beach chasing the blues. I dont think it could be anything else but a shark.

A friend of mine has a small plane and told me he has personally seen 100's of sharks in LI SOund over the years. He said if you knew how many there really are you probably wouldnt swim there.

#9 ·
sharks on the fly

nothing local to the NE, but here are some of my own shark experiences.

HAve fished with Capt. Scott Hamilton in FL a number of times, and his specialty is spinner sharks on the fly....caught several out of the boat with him. Have some great photos on my wall of doubled over 12 wts, flies in the corner of mouths etc.

Fishing off the beach down there this spring (waist deep), my brother in law and I had several sharks (4-6ft) follow the flies to within 20ft of us, turning off course when they saw us....we were only using 8wts and no wire at the time...so unlikely to have landed any we hooked regardless. did make us a little anxious landing the jacks and snappers we were also catching.

Brother in law went out in the kayak, and said he was surrounded by nearing a hundred sharks milling about....having seen the water simply full of them out of the boat the day before, I don't doubt this.

Fishing off the beach in NorCal (within the so-called red triangle) i have been cruised at close range by large gray shapes. Used the Jesus method to exit the water (walk on the top), to disocver on both occasions that it was a harbor seal coming in for a look.....does make you nervous though.

mark

#10 ·
the scare of my life

If you think wading in water is scary, try scuba diving in murky and suddenly having a shark come straight towards you less than 10 feet away. Talk about imitating Jesus; I damn near flew out of the water. Best thing in that situation is to dive deeper, so the sharks don't think you are a seal and head towards shore.
At least if you are wading with waders on, they can't detect your electrical currents and theoretically won't harm you. Not real willing to test that theory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.