Fly Fishing Forum banner

polarized lens color

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim 
#1 ·
thinkin I might invest in some more durable glasses...
I can usually keep a nice set a good many years, cheap sets I destroy wildly for some reason.

Can anyone give me an idea of how copper compares to amber? Grays are useless imhexperience. I find amber makes the water column much more visible and is versatile through the light range but for the very brightest days. Amber is good to quite low light, and I'll often fish the twilight overnights here in summer. I wonder if a photochromic copper might do as well in low light, I guess, and make up for where amber leaves me squinting on long, bright bigwater days.

#3 ·
i guess this was the question

I didn't find it clearly addressed in my searches for color, lens color, polarized sunglasses or polarized glasses.

"I wonder if a photochromic copper might do as well [as amber] in low light and make up for where amber leaves me squinting on long, bright bigwater days."

#4 ·
I think you would do well with the copper lenses for all-around fishing...esp if photochromatic. I really liked my medium brown lenses, but bought some copper glass lenses last year and they are great.

True amber lenses are really specialized for low light. So if you're going to spend your day staring at a sand flat in intense sunshine you probably want something with a little more brown in it - or maybe a moderate grey color.

I spent a lot of time shopping around for a pair last year and found that having a good wrap style frame to keep the light out and optic-quality glass lenses greatly helped - both on the flats and the trout stream.

Good luck!

#8 ·
Greg Pavlov said:
One thing to consider, if you haven't already, is that in most cases photochromics at their max let more light through than any non-photochromics. At least, that is true of photo-c's from Action Optics and several others.
I did not know that. Thanks. Photo-c copper might work out as a GP set of glasses, then. For all those real bright days, there's twice as many overcast, so if I lose a little filtering with a photo-c lens, then it may maintain a little more lowlight capability.
I was actually looking at a pair from LLBean (doing the xmas exchange dance). I like what I've seen of A/O, but costwise 2 turtlenecks and a vest are what I need to use to defray the cost of a decent pair. Of course, they're glass...which now has me considering how well they'd hold up in a chuck and duck fishery (where I lost my last pair to 3 pcs of #2 shot).

Thanks all...it does sound like I'm shopping for copper on the next pair at least.

#9 ·
I have fished with the Copper AO specs, and I love them. They are a little brighter than regular amber. I find that many glasses are too dark. It may be bright and sunny out, but fish are usually hiding in the shadows. I am often fishing in low light and overcast conditions so I now have a pair of yellow lenses the are awsome. I find myself with them still on at high noon and hardly notice a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.