Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bait in Puget Sound

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
The amount of bait in Puget Sound this summer was crazy in July and August compared to last year (and recent years) at least in the areas I explored. The resident coho we caught last week were fat and nice sized and a hoot on the Miyawaki Popper as well as small clousers.

One observation was where plenty of "happy" jumping coho were around the bite could be frustrating knowing they are there, but when they are surging through the bait it's a sure thing. But fishin being fishin of course some jumpers hit while other rippers won't but as a general rule it was the case.

Strangely the ocean and straits fishery seems to be way down at Sekiu and Neah Bay while Westport seems to be fishing very well. I wonder if favorable conditions in the sound has a role in this odd year? I hope it's not the state of the ocean runs being so poor that Clallam Bay and Neah Bay fisheries are that down for salmon. Another option is maybe the conditions out in the pacific have them still roaming getting fatter and stronger for my fall trip.... :lildevl:

#2 ·
I just got back from the Queen Charlottes, the weather was brutal most of the time and we got blown off the water one day by "40-50" knot winds. The standard (cut plug) fishing was slow although I did bring home some fresh salmon the conditions for the fly just weren't great.

I also witnessed more bait than I have in past trips. Thick bait balls of very small candle fish, I had nothing small enough to throw at them and couldn't get them to take anything. I however did hook and land a puffin with a clean release :chuckle:

I buddy managed a 5lb halibut on the fly.

Hush hush, I heard Vashon is hot right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.