Fly Fishing Forum banner

Leader Question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
I have a question about knotless leaders.

If you buy a 10' 16# knotless tapered leader how long is the tippet class? In other words how far up the leader does the 16# class tippet go?

Does the length of tippet class change as you change leader lengths? I.e A 7'6" 8# leader, how long is the class tippet?

Thanks for the info!!

#2 ·
I myself am not sure on knotless... If you are buying and IGFA certified leader I thing it would have to be a minimim lenght.. I don't have my handbook in front of me but I think 12 inches.. I will check.. so I would think it would be longer in the package to allow for chganging of flys and cut offs... For salt water.. all I do is have a spool of flourocabon and tye the mono on a short 30 or 40 pound butt loop (about 12 inches more or less) then 6 feet of leader or total tippet ... so as I change flys or have any break offs I can work it down to ..say 4 feet. If on the flats I will tye it longer.

#4 ·
2 ft is about right although I dont trust the stuff that comes out of the packet. I had a mega striper wear right through the tippet a couple of years back. I cut off the tippet back into the taper slightly and make a loop. Then loop-to-loop tippet of flurocarbon.

I'm getting very keen on this combo since the tapers last a long time (good thing - they're not cheap) and I'm using a smaller quantity of expensive fluro :)

#5 ·
What strength shock tippet does anyone use for stripers? I have used 30 lb. mono, but will probably switch over to fluoro this season. Also, for most 9-wt. applications, what's the lowest tippet strength anyone consistently uses? 12-lb. fluoro is the lowest I've personally gone. TIA...

Chris

#6 · (Edited)
I have never used a shock tippet for stripers...just the leader setup I use... 12 pounds is the lightest I go... 20 is the highest.. If I know I will be fishing from a boat or in heavy current or rips I will have a bimini tied to the butt.. about 2 feet...then the tippet. Stripers don't jump and there is usually little "sharp" structure around... Line might get stuck under a scale and cut..but leaving no slack in the line as you play the fish would minimize that.... American wire for Blues or I have some flies in my box tied like tarpon flys.. so I can switch if blues are in the area and have a 2 inch bite guard .. with most of the fly tied in at the bend of the hook leaving the shank free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.