Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Body Bag" Steelhead fly

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 · (Edited)
Never done this part before so hope it isn't too sketchie

Hook -- Any #4 or 6 medium wire straight eyed hook. If you're doing this as a tube fly I'd suggest the Loop short shank doubles.

Thread -- usually black, but Malcom gave me a good idea as I usually heavily weight the #4's. Un wted fly use black thread; wted use red so you can tell the difference at a glance.

Build up a bit of an under body with waxed thread. This gives the black wool, chenile or .015 wire something to 'bite' into.

Body is either small black Chenile or black wool.

Over-rap a few turns of silver tinsel (the crinkled stiff stuff makes for an even better, more striking look).

Tie off but leave a good amount of hook at the eye for the wings.

Wings are a matched pair of bright red dyed Goden Pheasent Tippets. Tie in just in front of the body, tie head and cement.

Wings are layed along side the hook, not on top so they 'mask' the back body. Wing should extend to, or just beyond the bend of the hook.

See less See more
#3 ·
This is why you have 'knowledgable' wives.

Actually, other than a few 'electronic family pictures' on Joan's camera (she's on her 4th one now) I'm still a 35 MM kind of guy. Will ask her to shoot and load a photo on a post.

Quick question tho, where do I find 'instructions' on how to insert a picture on/in a post?
fe

#4 ·
Fred -

When you make a new post there is an extra slot below the text box called "attachments". You click on browse and select the image file from your computer, that's it!

If it's too big it will tell you. If you are not sure how to reduce the picture size let me know and I will help you out.

best regards and really enjoy your posts,
Juro

#7 ·
Got the flies

Hey guys, this fly is a keeper. Thanks for the extra flies fred. I'm keeping th tubes for myself> LOL. I haad a hard time picturinn myself, buut onnce I saw ii ii person, it was DOH!!! I can see why it's so effective. If I saw somethiin lke that swimming by I'd have to chomp it to. I can't wait to see the others.

#10 ·
Andy: Zero Dark 30 at Casey is the Plan.

Will have Nate and his son with me, but know where the fish are holding. Not in the "normal" water at the top end of the drift but down about 2/3'rds of the run. Just above the Salmon holding water.

Not seen the fish hold this far below the 'norm' before but what the heck. If this is where the buggers want to sit, so be it.
Fred.

#12 ·
Hello Joan!

The system limits both the physical size (hgt/wdt) and also the byte size. The byte size limit is 60k per file. Most images at 400 wdt look great at 40k or less.

If it's easier, just email it to me and I will reduce the resolution and keep it at width 400.

thank you and I look forward to seeing it!

#20 ·
Nice one, Fred!

Ever since the swap flies arrived and I held one of these in my hand, I've really liked this fly. It has good color, silhouette, and movement, and it's very unique. It seems like it will do well either dead drifted or swung. I won't fish the "Fred Original" that I received, but I'm sure to tie some up this fall.

#21 ·
Being a 'simple' guy (wife would say 'simple minded...'

I like this fly as it doesn't take 3 minutes to tie the bugger up. Because of the body config. you can make it as big as you want for a "searching pattern,' or down to 6-4's for lower water. You can also weight the heck out of this fly if you need a bottom sweeper.

A good combo is this fly, with a beadhead Prince Nymph/Hex Nymph, etc., 30" behind as a trailer.
fe

#22 · (Edited)
Fred,

The Body Bag is unique with the side mounting of the tippetts, but that is a Rouge river pattern style like the Juicy Bug of Rogue river fame. Also other rouge flies are like that. Believe because of the fast rapids mounting on the side is suppose to give the fly more stability on the drift I think.

Will have to see if I can use this technique on some of our mid western steelie patterns. Our water is not as fast as the rouge or other western rivers with intense white water, etc...

Hal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.