Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hexagenia

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Other than some stonefly & big elk hair flies - does anyone have any more specific Hex patterns (dry) that they like?

Thanks.\
Roop

#3 ·
I fished the Hex hatch for years, even before we knew what they were. The pattern we used was made using a dubbed rabbit-tail, the white underside which was a dirty white. Grizzly hackle for the hackle and tail. This was tied on a size 8 long shanked hook. Never put wings on them, as at dark you couldn't see them anyways. Boy! big brown trout were suckers for it.Always fished it at the tops of narrow runs where all the large trout use to station themselfs at dusk to about 10 PM use to be sound fishing.

#5 ·
I enlarged a golden- ribbed hare's ear to the Hexagenia Limbata size, make an extended body using dubbed over, old floating fly line. I substituted the gold rib with a brown floss.
I also tie in the legs using goose biots with knots in them for the knee joints, melted mono for the eyes and cut wings to finish it off... I tie this "hackle-less", the fly line dubbed body keeps it afloat....
The Hex hatch is in full swing on the mighty Cuyahoga river, in Ohio...
To me, its like the return on an old friend... :)
mayflyman

#6 ·
Mayflyman,

Been meaingin to say it - WELCOME!

Your enthusiasm and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, having stopped my freshwater tying about 5 years ago to focus on te salt, I find the smallest I can effectively work right now is about a #4 hook!

Will get back into the swing this winter & definitely try this pattern.

Roop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.