Fly Fishing Forum banner

one fly or die

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
i am sure this has already been brought up, but if you could choose only one fly for winter steeheading and one fly for spring/summer steelheading what would you choose and why???

#3 ·
Ying and yang here over two choices.

The local pattern known as the "otis bug" or the Prince Nymph (just vary the size for the conditions). Both are consistent patterns on the upper Rogue .... summer or winter.

However, having said that, I'm dieing to try Aaron's (speybum) 'rock worms' with the summer fish. Lordie knows they got the attn. of the winter fish.
fae

#7 · (Edited)
One Fly???

Fortunately we do not need to limit to one fly. Summer I would begin with a green but skunk, spey style. For winter it would be a purple and black marabou spider or Willie Gunn tube fly.

I have also noted that the river makes a difference. Patterns that work well on the Clearwater do not always produce well on the Snake. So river needs to be factored into the equation.

#9 ·
LOL Juro

Actually, I do have one fly I've caught fish in both summer and winter. But I mostly fished the stained rivers of the OP, which even in summer months stays somewhat stained (but does clear up). I've used my old trusty pink bunny leech. I actually tried it by accident. Was taking a girlfriend around the "Loop" back in about 86'. We were camping at Minnie near end of the trip (started on Eastside and worked up and around to westside). Well, didn't bring any gear with me. Was supposed to be a fun "romantic" rustic style weekend. It was actually. But, I had a serious itch going over all these rivers I normally fished back then and couldn't fish. I was out scouting the spot near Willoughby, and remembered I had a rod stashed in the back of my Blazer (I had a locking compartment in my old Blazer I had on the passenger side of truck over wheelwell). I had my 8wt outfit and a box of winterflies. The pink leech was the smallest profile I had (yes, I used some gawdy flies then). Sure enough, I landed 3 nice summerruns in about an hours time (it was early morning and she was still sleeping). Fishing was good, but had to get back to camp before she woke up. From then on, I always kept a few on hand. Luckily, I didn't get caught. Was a condition I didn't fish. LOL. Had to wash up extra hard to get the smell off my hands of the fish. But, was worth it.

#12 ·
Sheesh Sparkey

I only dated friskey but CLEAN girls. Only the real skanky types smelled like fish. Didn't want her to think I was cheating on her. There was a group of girls a couple spots up. But NO, she smelled, umm, good. No fishy smells there big boy. :hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.