Fly Fishing Forum banner

custom bamboo fly rods

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
looking to get a custom bamboo fly rod made (for a retirement gift for a coworker)
i imagine the gift will be more decorative than functional but it would be nice if it were also fishable. (can't speak for the coworker's intentions)
can anyone recommend someone/some company for this?
your help is appreciated

#2 ·
If you didn't want to wait to have one built by a custom rod maker, LL Bean and Orvis make bamboo rods. There are a few shops in the country that stock bamboo rods. Angler's Lie in Arlington, VA and Leland Flyfishing Outfitters come to mind. Perhaps one of the Forum's sponsors stock them as well.
There are many artisan builders, but their production is limmited, and it can take months (often more than a year) to have them make one.

#4 ·
jlsmithii,

I think I can point you in the right direction. I was recently introduced to a custom rod builder in my area. His rods are absolutely beautiful. The ferrules are all hand engraved nickle. There was so much detail in the rod you could stare at it for an hour and not pick everything out. It is being sold by a non forum sponsor so if you want to PM me I can give you the details.

Dave

#6 ·
i know these can be become pricey very quickly, but otherwise haven't thought of an upper limit. just curious about the options. figure out price once i have an idea of what there is.

#7 ·
If you are willing to get a rod from a not so well know maker you can find something nice for not a lot of money. I just fulfilled a childhood dream of owning a bamboo fly rod for about a quatre of what Orvis would charge for the same rod. The rod I got was from Lee Orr of Vandalia Rodworks. (I'd post a link but they aren't a sponsor. You can find them through google or just add a dot com to their name without the space.) The price was great and the quality of the rod is good. No cheap fittings. They will make just about anything you want. You can even specify the taper you'd like.

#9 ·
Warren said:
If I retire will you send me a Custom Bamboo Rod too?:hihi:

Your retiring friend must be someone special. Usually they just get a gold plated watch:D
it'll actually be a group of guys going in on the gift. nice gifts have been the norm. the last guy who retired received a custom made flintlock muzzleloader (big blackpoweder hunter)

hopefully the trend will continue by the time i reach that age:hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.