Fly Fishing Forum banner

Grand Cascapedia

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Salar-1 
#1 ·
Hi,

I`m new in this forum and will send the best wishes from South- West Germany.
I read the report about the stop of river neeting at the Grand and I´m hot to know
how the start of season is.
I will visit the area at the end of July for week with a friend and say thank you for
every information.

KTM 450 EXC:devil:

#3 ·
Cascapedia Report

Here is a current report from the Grand Cascapedia River:

Fishing was slow on June 1 due to high water. June 2 and 3 saw the river in spate with trees floating down so nobody fished those two days, or, almost nobody!

I fished the upper Cascapedia on June 5 and 6 without seeing a thing. These are the Lake and Salmon branches... The main river started producing fish on all sectors of the main river as of the 5th, however, it was spotty. I then fished with a friend on the 7th on the Salmon branch with almost perfect water conditions, but still no fish.

June 8 and 9 I hit a few pools on the Lake branch, again, with perfect water levels but did not see a fin! To date I have yet to see a fin, roll, fish, or otherwise on the upper river. I know they are there, but where is the question!? Things should start to pop up there soon.

The main river has picked up since the 5th and has progressively gotten better on all sectors. B and C sectors are producing the most fish and they are all big fish so far. To date I know of at least 5 30+ pound fish being released along with another half dozen fish in the mid 20's.

The water is, simply put, perfect at the moment and there is a push of fish coming in at this very moment. My prediction is that things are going to get really good in the next 3-5 days and should stay hot as a second wave of fish enter the river on this full moon phase and the next new moon phase.

I have no reports of the Bonaventure producing fish, however, I have heard that the York, Dartmouth and St-Jean are all seeing fish, along with a lot of anglers. Today there were 45 anglers registered throughout the York River system. All reserved sectors were booked along with a bunch on the open water. The same is true for the other two rivers there. Good news for the ZEC there. My sources tell me that there is a good push of second wave fish entering the river at the moment with the York producing the most fish thus far.

In other related news... The Patapedia saw its first fish caught by Pierre Manseau last Friday along with the first on the Kedgwick on Monday, also caught by Pierre. he reported to me that the first wave of fish on the Pat had pushed through quickly as did the first wave to enter the Causapcal River. It would appear that there are a lot of fish on the Causapscal at the moment.

I have no report for the Matapedia at this time.

Screaming reels to you all

David

#7 ·
Hey guys!

Yup, the fishing is starting to really pick up here on the Grand... was supposed to hit the Bonnie today but had too much to do. Will hit the Cascapedia tomorrow...

Look forward to seeing you Uwe, Chris and Howie on the days we will be spending together this year.

Still too soon to predict how the overall season will go, however, it is looking up!

Best

David

#8 ·
Just a little correction David,

The first of the Patapedia was caught by a member of our party, my friend Daniel Nolin. But I caught the first of the Kedgwick.

"Syomga" and I went back to the head of the Kedgwick this week end, and we had 3, 1 in the mid-20's.

A group of friends were on the Patapedia, and as of saturday night, they already had 7 hook up, so thing look very good there. Most of the fish are in the 12-13 pounds.

News from the Causapscal are that a very good run of 10-12 pounders are now in the area of Fall and Bateau Pool. Fishing has been great there last week.

Globaly, in the Restigouche system, it seems the expected good run of 2 years MSW is effectively there.

PIerre

#9 ·
Pierre, as they are on the York :)))
HOWEVER it did take a few days to figure out the fish wanted rather small flies for the level and temperature of the water !!
Dave ,you started the "Spool out " trick for the rest of us . Mine took in WT and ran right down into Baillergeon ,surpising 2 enterprising anglers !!!However I and others managed without your airobatics :-( . Glad to hear your back is OK !!
Matapedia was 2 feet too high as of early last week !
Cheers
Brian
Salar36 said:
J

Globaly, in the Restigouche system, it seems the expected good run of 2 years MSW is effectively there.

PIerre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.