Fly Fishing Forum banner

safety items

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Thought there was a thread here a while back but was not able to find it. Just bought a native watercraft ultimate for inshore/estuary use and am trying to get together the basic safety items I need. This is no open ocean craft but still want to make sure I have the basics. So far I have:

- signal mirror
- whistle
- compass
- gps
- pfd
- Hydrostar Light system

What else should I have onboard at all times?

-sean

#2 ·
A little first aid kit in a watertight case and a watertight case for the cell phone would be on my list. Some matches in a sealed bag.

I am allergic to bee stings and the epi pen comes with me whenever I am far from the glove compartment.

A length of rope wouldn't hurt either in case you need to tie to a bouy to pull a hook out of your ear or tame a 40# cow. A knife in case the cow is towing you too fast into a freighter.

Other than that water, but that's a given.

sounds like a nice rig - ill have to check yours out this season

#3 ·
radar reflector

I'd add a foldable radar reflector: folds into a 3 oz, 10 in. disc, but could be put on the bottom half of a fly rod to give you a .5 to 1.5 mile detectability range. (For those rare times when the fog doesn't co-operate with the forecast.)

#4 ·
A spare paddle, I put a little 2' wooden paddle I got for one of the kids in the back of the yak. Pump or at least a gallon milk jug cut to make a bailer. I'm not familiar with the hydrostar system but being visible to boats is a must whether it's waving your paddle during the day or hitting them with a white light at night you need to make sure they see you. Not a safety item but I've always used one of those synthetic chamois when canoeing and kayaking works great for keeping the bottom puddle free.
Keep the knife, whistle and light on your person not just somewhere in the boat.

#7 ·
Sean have you water-tested the new vessel yet? I would be interested to hear how you like it. I have been looking at the native boats for dual-duty: trout ponds in early spring and paddling around estuaries and to and from sandbars.

I am wondering if the stability is all it is cracked up to be - they seem to have sort of a modified catamaran design.

Would love to hear your comments.

Dave

#9 ·
Native American

Sean,
I'll second Big Dave's questions. I am also looking at it....did you get the "Elite" version or the regular? Stability is my question also but with just getting snow this AM and more predicted it will be a while before water temps encourage 'float and stability" test up here!!!!

Pete

#10 ·
Checklist

Here is a free checklist which is provided on a printable PDF from a chaps website in the UK. As he says, you don't need to take everything on the list, it depends on where you are fishing, the conditions. But at least use the list to think about it.

Anglers Afloat
Kayak Fishing Safety Checklist

PFD with pealess whistle attached
Wetsuit Correct for season/water temperature
Cag
Hat
Boots
Compass
Flares (Rocket)
Flares (Smoke) Orange for daylight, Red for nightime
VHF Radio Check battery level
Mobile Phone Backup for VHF Radio
Paddle Leash
Diving Knife/Pen Knife
Basic First Aid Kit
Sunglasses/Suncream
Waterproof Torch Check batteries
Drink and Snack
Change of Clothes in Dry Bag
Space Blanket
Towel
GPS
Tides If in doubt check with Coast Guard
Weather
Paddle Plan Give shore contact details of your route
Return Time If delayed call shore contact
Seat
Rods
Reels
Rod Leashes
Rod Holders
End Tackle
Lures/Bait
Disgorger
Fishfinder/Battery
Camera
If in doubt, don’t go out!

#12 ·
Since you are limited on space, I'd get a dry bag and put in:

A bottle of water
whistle
first aid kit
pair of stainless steel pliers (case you had to pull a hook out of you)
signal mirror
PFD - Which you should ware if you are out by yourself.
a flash light - If you fish in the evenings.
Rope
flare gun - depending on boat traffic around the area.
Knife

You are in a boat that is paddle powered limiting the distance you will travel. I doubt that you would be paddling so far out that land isn't visable and you would need a GPS for navagation. A small compass might be good if you are in a area that you could possible be carried out to sea by the current. Just my 2 cents.

#13 ·
Black Ops...

Cloaking device
Anti-matter-particle generator
Fulton Recovery System :eek:
Helicopter extraction sling w/adaptors
HK with silencer and extra clips...wax sealed ammunition (tracers optional)

#14 ·
Well I got access to the fulton recovery system..I just need a c130 pilot on retainer...you know one :)

Will let you all know how the boat performs in the coming weeks. Should be able to get her out for the maiden voyage next week.

-saen

#16 ·
JimW said:
And maybe a bigger boat to carry all this safety stuff.
Just kiddin' with ya Jamie.

Most important piece of safety equipment is between your ears.
Went to a talk the guy who generated the list gave a few weeks ago - hard to argue with his logic and commonsense approach and he pack it away quite well.

I packed my yak and stuff in car for an early morning session out on the yaks with Stevo. 22 degrees today (not sure what that is in American) and light noreaster, similar tomorrow. 1.5 metre tide off the Jurassic coast - just need the bass to be playing.

#17 ·
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned this item. If you're lost anywhere, whether on the water or on land, you better have it: a flask of some fine scotch whiskey.

It's primary purpose is to help calm your nerves and make you feel better, but in a pinch it can be used to help start a fire. The hallmark of any survival gear is that it should have at least 2 uses. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.