Fly Fishing Forum banner

New member introduction and line ID help

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Alosa 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am a new member from California. Although I've been flyfishing for a few years now, most of that experience has been in freshwater (lakes/rivers) for trout, steelhead, salmon, bass, and American shad (hence the name Alosa) along the Pacific coast (Washington, Oregon, and California). I've recently set myself up for the saltwater game (Sage Xi2 13wt, Tibor Gulfstream) and am excited to chase a variety of saltwater fish. In fact, I have family living near Boca Grand, Florida, and I am very excited about chasing tarpon when the migration goes through that region. Anyways, I am happy to be a part of another fly fishing forum, and I look forward to learning a lot from you folks about the saltwater aspect of this amazing sport.

Now on to my question. I picked up a used saltwater reel (the Tibor mentioned above) this weekend that already had a line on it, but the seller had no info about the line. The seller had it set up for a saltwater trip to the Yucatan region, but never used the reel or the line, because the gear he brought (12 wt rod) was overkill for what they were fishing for.

Here's what I think about the line based on some information provide by the seller, preliminary observations and measurements:
1) 12 wt full floating line
2) Orange in colour
3) Approx. 80-90 ft in length
4) Approx. 30 foot head section that is noticeably heavier than the remainder of the line. I know this is what a head section is supposed to be, but this things is SUPER stacked up in the forward 30 feet.

I'd post a picture of the line if I knew how...

My guess is that this line is 2-3 years old, and I was told its never been used. Little help?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry I can't be of help in ID'ing your line, but others on this Forum surely will.

Good luck with your Florida Gulf fishing. I've really enjoyed fishing Pine Island Sound, Sanibel and Captiva over the years. It's always been the snook for me; took one trip to Boca Grande (by default, everything else was blown out), and saw lots of tarpon (one of my absolute favorite fish), but they weren't interested in anything I had. Great sight, though. Like being in an aquarium.

Again, welcome.

Eric

#3 ·
Hi Alosa
I don't know what line that is, it could be a Teeny. It is normal for a saltwater line to have a short head as it helps turnover when fishing with big flies.

Is your problem is that you are not sure if the line matches the rod then why don't you try casting it.
A 13wt is a very big gun and in between a normal heavy weight flats rod (12wt) and a blue water rod (14wt).
However if you can cast with it then great.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas. I've done a little research and I think it's the Teeny Pro Series Flip Pallot line (85ft; orange) that was developed a few years ago.

I wanted to know what line it was so that I would be able to determine what applications it would be best suited for. I've tried casting it (no fly) on the 13wt rod in a field, and I think it casts fine, but how it behaves on water with a fly tied to it may differ (especially with wind). Now that I think I know what it is, I'm better able to determine where its use is most appropriate. Perhaps sight fishing for tarpon, but not great for deepwater applications. Thanks again for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.