Fly Fishing Forum banner

Not a flats boat...

5K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  steelheadmike 
#1 ·
but I think this will be more utilitarian for the family.

Get to stare at it sitting next to my shed all winter and dream of the spring.

Getting this deal put to bed and the end of my business year frees me up to fulfill some outstanding obligations to some board members as well.

Look forward to hosting others & returning the favor to those of you have graciously hosted me on your boats.

Roop

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Roop - nice looking ride - Congrats!!!

One question: Why did you go with a T-top? Do you think it will get in the way while flyfishing? I think they are really sporty looking and functional for the sun/family but aren't they a big drawback when FFing?

Please do not take this the wrong way - I am just curious as I am debating the same setup right now. I am considering a Bimini instead that I will remove when family is aboard. Feedback from the forum would be great...

#12 ·
Thanks guys.

Jim Simms - let's schedule the spring striper hunt!

Decided against a flats boat as too restrictive for my comfort level when using anywhere other than the flats. Decided against a bay boat as the wrong boat for taking my 6 & 5 year old daughters out on.

After seeing what Bob Pink can do with his boat, I wanted an Ocean 20 but I think Jim Whalen found the best available one.

Matt - I have the same issue, 10 - 20% family use dictates sun protection. This boat just kind of fit the bill with the T-top, didn't want to deal with mounting/ raising/ stowing a bimini.

Yeah, we might be able to chase some tuners with it too!

I'm probably the one who will have trouble casting around the T-top. Guess that's why I have a spin rod ;)

Happy Holidays!

Roop

#19 ·
Roopster,
Just wait till the first excursion you will be soooo happy you got the boat that you be hard pressed to actually fish! I had this problem once I got my new rig, first couple of trips I just ran the boat and fished very little it was so nice to just have the room,range, comfort, power, etc. that I could not concentrate on fishing at all. But this will fade quickly and you will be back to doing what we all love FISHING! I don't have a tee top and wish I did, I think you will grow to love having the t-top honestly, it gives you alot more versatility in storage and sun protection, the minor drawback being some casting room lost to the size of the top. But that can be worked around and you will decide that you did the right thing getting the t-top. I am going to be looking into getting one maybe next season hopefully, but there are so many things I want and need for the boat I just don't know what is going to be first. Probably trim tabs. Very nice rig and now you will be able to do your best impression of the Pinkster.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

#21 ·
T-tops and flyfishing

Not really much of a problem. It is worth a lot more than any potential problems. Do yourself a favor and get FULL spray curtains. You will be very happy and be able to fish in comfort on sloppy days with a minimum of rain gear, rather than covering all the way up and getting soaked on rainy and/or windy days.
Sometimes folks who are not very experienced flycasters may get messed up in rods that you have in your rocket launcher rod holders. I did it myself yesterday, but the benefits outweigh the problems by a thousandfold.
That Hydrasport is a good boat. Mu buddy here has the same one and he really likes it and it is a good ride.

#22 ·
Congrats.... Roop or should I say Captain!

You now have a sturdy platform to build many lasting memories.

Looking out the window now... seeing the boat covered with the first snow, thinking about the first trip already.

May the sea goddas always keep you in her bossum safe and sound.

#23 ·
YOu can tell it's off season when you start having fishing dreams. Last night I dreamed I was going out fishing with Roopster and Bob Pink. Can't remember which craft-they both rock! Best of luck. Remember, BJs sells big cans of beans cheap. That will help feeding the family while offsetting boat costs :D .
BTW Roop- when you are piloting your own craft across some flats and the fish explode- you can't just jump out and pursue on foot. :p Don't forget to kill the motor and toss and anchor.:tsk_tsk:

Good luck and enjoy Cap'n.

Lefty

#24 ·
My hero.....

Man that is a sweet boat.

Congrats Roop, you deserve it.

I've givin' up on the motorcycle so maybe there is a similar craft in my distant future. Let me know if you grow out of yours some day and I'll take it off of your hands.

I need a second job.........

#25 ·
Per the T-top and casting, I've never been on a boat (other than a drift boat) where people cast over the middle of the deck. We always cast one off the transom and one off the bow, but with the lines passing over the water not the deck. Therefore the T-top won't get in the way.

One symptom often faced is due to the wind... the outdrive always drags slower in a wind drift so a righty or lefty off the bow has the wind on his opposite shoulder - OK. The guy trying to cast off the end of the transom in this case is getting the wind onto his casting shoulder - TROUBLE.

In this case, I find it best to use a water haul to load the rod in place of the backcast and let the drift of the boat extend the fly line before stripping so you're really getting the same coverage.

Or the guy in the back can cast parrallel to the centerline of the boat along one side, making sure the guy in front is clear. This is a little more trouble and the cast cast to bite into the wind, but it works almost as well as the water haul method.

It feels like the guy in the back is disadvantaged because of the wind issues, modified casting, etc. Actually, because the guy in back does not have to pull the fly before it goes under the boat his presentation can make up on the back end what it lost in distance on the initial cast. I'll take the back if there is any drift at all, even when the wind is howling. Of course on a bluebird day nothing beats the bow.

Anchoring actually negates this tailgunner's benefit, and in most cases reduces the area you cover and the fish you catch. There has to be a distinct fish related reason to anchor or I prefer to drift.

Anyway, got carried away there - I just meant to say you need another excuse for the spin rod :hehe: (kidding)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.