Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip Report

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
What a beautiful day weather wise as we left 7 AM sharp. Tom headed down the east side around the tip to the powder hole where we got off and started walking to the point.. Both Craig and Adrian stayed for a while at the drop off and reported schoolie action. The rip was high when we got there as it was high tide and everyone stated in earnest but fishing was tough with an occasional hit now and then. Then by 11 AM the tide started to turn with the usual quiet time with all the water calm. By 12 the rip started to form,but the fishing remained very hard with Mung building up within casting range. Every ten casts probably brought only two clean strips. By 1 Craig hit first with a strong 24 incher. But things were starting to get discouraging as Nick radioed me that he had hooked up after we sort of spread out with Roop searching everywhere and Adrian striking out on his own.. Reno was next with a nice football. Then Craig again with the Salmon drift. Reno again. Everyone was stopping to clean Mung off the flies and the rip was getting stronger and very shallow. It was about 2:30 before the Este swing was being used by every one. Craig landed a real nice one from a distance and it had to be over 30". Roop's back and lands his usual. Fred hits with a high 20. Then Me with about a 30.. then Adrian with a good one.. Jim Doogue hit with Mark on the back of the rip more toward the point. Jim D was our photographer for the day but also reported big fish moving into the rip when he took a walk toward the drop off and I watched him slowly walking up the beach as though he was following a school. Quiet time now and Roop heads up toward the Powder hole for some sight fishing and reported big fish moving with the tide but the mung screwed up his retrieves... damn Mung... the fish usually hit close to shore but that was not possible today as by that time in the retrieve the mung was all over the fly.. Craig hit again ,so does Roop.. I lose one from failing to set the hook as we were looking for strikes farther out than usual. The fish were there but it was not the usual one after another.. only one double hook up when Fred and Craig are fighting them at the same time... All the fish went into the backing and the current made then really hard to land. Craig then breaks his RPLXi and starts hand lining his fish in and borrows an the extra rod brought by Nick. Forgot to mention that Pete Grey also hooked up earlier and spent most of his time working the back of the rip. A good but hard day but the weather was perfect. Mark Doogue landed some on the point side as did Jim. All the action was really between 2:30 and 4 just as we left... but it seemed to quiet down as we started to pack up. In summary .. we had fish but I think the Mung kept our catch down as compared with the usual clean water... The swing was important as the usual cast and strip produced nothing. A great day though and we need to schedule again. The Doogues, Fred , Pete and Roop stopped by at my place after for coffee and chewing the fat.Thanks to Jim again for those great sandwiches and fruit.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the report John, as you might imagine I have been thinking about you guys out there all day. You guys could have picked a worse place to spend the day, and with worse company too! Sounds like everyone had a good time except for the monkey dung problem. This is a first for the mung problem out there - just another factor to consider I guess. Sounds like a great day to be at the end of the world fishing, wish I could have made it.

regards,
Juro

G
#5 ·
Thanks again to Nick for lending me his extra rod!!!!!! Lesson learned, do not horse in a rip striper, even if it is a schoolie in the mid twenties. That current is very strong and so are the fish, unless you do not mind sending your rod back to Sage for replacement. Had a great time, can't wait to do it again!

#6 ·
THanks to Jim for the sandwiches and fruit - what a compliment to a beautiful day.

This wasn't the Rip of last year, most probably due to the mung. For me, the key was if you could get a mung free drift, you would get a fish. Plus you did't have to be swinging the fly past the face of the rip, they seemed to be everywhere including at your feet.

THe sore feet & fuzzy head of this morning are a worthwhile price to pay.

Thanks to John for the coffee & MArk for the liquid refreshements at the causeway & CAC.

PS Look out for an idiot in a beautiful sportfisher, around 40', named ALL RISK. He definitely had no problems increasing everyone else's risk as he ran up the edge of the island, 10 yards of the beach at about 25 knots, nearly swamping a 20 CC. WHat a jerk.

#7 ·
I guess I got a double helping this week-end! :) Saturday with Gregg and Mike was awesome - thanks guys!

My thoughts on the fishing yesterday is "what a difference a day makes". On Saturday the Rip set up at arround 10:15 and we saw consistent action for about three hours with plenty of 30s+ fish. I was expecting things to fire up at around 11:00 ish yesterday but as previous reports state, it wasn't until later in the afternoon that things really got going. Picking off individual schoolies cruising the edge was a lot of fun however!

There was mung on Saturday but nothing like yesterday and water clarity had deteriorated. I haven't checked but I'm wondering if yesterdays tide was the weakest in terms of height? The wind seemed to have shifted 180 from Saturday also.

My thanks to all for a great day and especially to Jim who always seems to be there just as your thinking "hmm coffee, sandwich would taste good about now...".

#9 ·
John said it all. It was gorgeous out there. Awesome. Bluebird skies, seals, shells, sand. Ugh. At the office, like Roop said, I have a sunburned face, sunglass lines, and sore feet. But I would go back in a minute. Thanks for the opportunity to go out there, Juro and John. And Jim, thanks for the amazing feast. Craig, no problem with the rod. I can't wait for next weekend.
Nick

#10 ·
Great day out at the rip dispite the mung. I'm getting spoiled by Jim's sandwiches and other goodies. Thanks Jim. Looking at the tide chart for the Point shows the smallest delta/ exchange of water in the cycle occured Sunday. Probably an important consideration in the future. With a hi at 7:45 am I thought for sure we'd see the best of the rip.

The CAC museum was truly amazing. I thought I was going to get some decour tips for the place in Dennis but I quickly realized that thought was pretty presumptious. CAC has a serious collection of stuff. And the coffee was great too. Thanks John. It was great to wind down and listen to the chatter and have a few yuks (I laugh every time I envision the "Ninja flyfisheman - he doesn't leave footprints in the sand" scampering across the beach). Among other things, Peter is a very funny guy.

Fred A.

#11 ·
GLAD YOU ALL ENJOYED THE FOOD AND BEVERAGES. It was Mark's and my pleasure to tote them along. Pictures are on the way, just that the developer must be the same gent servicing the FFF site. They tell me now they should have them by Friday.
Totally enjoyed the Rip trip experience and can't say enough about the company. Sorry if I entered anyones backcast zone, just wanted to make sure I got everyone on film. Couldn't believe Roop's magic show. Showed me he could catch fish where I knew there were none.(even did it on the first cast).
Ended the day over a great mug of home brewed coffee at the CAC with talk of Pate's and Randall's, Yemen and Flobies(sp), the contents of Pete's "mojo" bag, and the fact that our good Friend Adrian missed out on a dynamite cup of John's coffee. Sorry I didn't get you on film Adrian but will do my best to make amends. Thanks John and Juro. Jim D.

#12 ·
It looks as though I'm late to the dance again......

I just wanted to tell all involved how much I enjoyed Sunday's Rip Trip. The experience, for me at least, was much less about fish and more about meeting and getting to know the great people that contribute to this forum. As wonderful as multiple keepers would have been(I've never really caught one), I wasn't skunked and I spent one beautiful day on a pristine beach with exceptional company.

Thanks to John for shepherding the flock and making the coffee at the CAC.

Roop, thanks for sneaking me into productive spots to increase my chances of hook-ups.

Finally, Pete, thanks to you for teaching me never to walk at arms length from a wall in Yemen. You are a veritable cornucopia of knowledge.

#13 ·
So...you're on a flight to Baltimore and the plane gets diverted to Yemen because of bad storms on the east coast...you never know!...but at least now you know where not to walk (and why)...

I almost got skunked but...I had a great time because I WAS FISHING WITH MY FRIENDS! Thanks for a swell day!

#14 ·
I was just looking at some photos from last year which I think supports the theory that the lack of exhange of water had a definite impact on the day.

The photos I'm referring to show people fighting fish, out of the water, about 5 feet further out than where we were fishing last weekend.

FYI for future trips, check the water drop.

Roop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.