Fly Fishing Forum banner

CLAVE RIP TRIP REPORT

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Mike Oliver 
#1 · (Edited)
Unbeleivably we finally got down there... The day was perfect weather wise with only a slight wind... and a zero tide. We met in the parking lot with one no show...Art was drafted.... Waren showed up thinking there might be space and Keith decided that it was ok to take him too...13 in all. We left a 7:30 and Larry (alosa) along with a few others (Steve, Sean) fished the drop off and spots north of the rip. When we got to the Rip... we were into fish right off...not flurries...but one here and there... I caught the first one a second cast which was to be my keeper for the day at 30 inches.... fish were caught at a slow even pace. Several multiply takedowns... with fast pace then slow pace until the "lull". I thought that things would ramp up around 12:30 according to experience and almost on the minute... we were really into it.... more 2 and 3 rod bends and one 4 rod bend.... and we egged the 5th guy in the conger line to make it 5... and all he could say was "I am trying as hard as I can". a slight lull... then the pods came and could be seen 10 to 20 feat off shore... and the Keepers started to get caught... Sean (marshrat ) into his second... and Warren need to pass in front of the conger crew to safely land his keeper... All other fish between 20 and 25 inches...sea lice.... and only a handful of Micros...Larry and his crew showed ( Larry saying that he really IS a sociable guy -wink)up at the rip after catching 100 fish. Popenesset and Art got their share and even reported losing a monster around the tip. Joe and Lou (Tightlines- forget which is "tightlines) along with Highway61 took very few breaks.... Allan and Mike, the UK guys were in second heaven and thought the day was complete after their third fish...not relalizing it was only beginning.... Mike was on his knees, in water up to his elbows releasing fish and both those guys got the "Fishing Machine" award for all day casting.... Mike also took about 100 pictures which I hope he sends me and can post here.... with fish pics and out usual group photo. It was a great day and a great group of guys and we really had fun... On the way back Phil (FishHobby) told me that it was the best $50 he ever spent. I always beleived that....We had our usual breakoffs, stripped flies and failed strips....but there was a lot of yelling along that conger line all day. I called Juro to report what was going on and he was also having a great day at the Brewster flats... The Diner after was success and will probably be in another thread along with other weekend fishing reports. Thanks Juro for putting that dinner together. Also thanks to all you guys who participated so that we could pull it off and for also knowing that sometimes we need to plan 5 trips just to get 1 off...Which brings me to some good news on that account.

Keith now has a new 6 man boat which means that we will be able to plan rip trips with lesser than the 12 numbers, which should be great for midweek and for those on Vacation at the Cape... as well as a great way to get down there during the late July and August doldrums. we would still do our 10/12 man groups...but can now crack together 6 guys at a moments notce to take advantage of good weather and some midweek attempts

See less See more
#3 ·
How was the dinner?
OC,
The get together was great. Great venue and it was good to see old friends and make new. Food was ok but couldn't compete with Juro, et al, the forum grill miesters.

Shore fishing was rather slow for the shorebound guys, other than those at the rip. People in boats and in the know did well.
I think I got outted in a post in another forum. Guy was complaining about me standing in the middle of a channel blind casting to 9" fish :redface: . Oh well.

#4 ·
I have to concur with the mayor. The rip trip was a success:D

I arrived Friday along with Highway 61 and we met up at the Rip Ryder with Flydoc. We fished North Monomoy till noon with no luck & very few fish sightings, The wind was blowing a constant NE 25 knots as a guess. After our return to the refuge, we decided to hit the beach on the refuge & fished all that way to Stage Harbor inlet with no success. I think Hwy61 said he had one tap. I failed to Christen my new rod:frown:

Striblue pretty much summed up the rip trip, my new rod ( http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=28122 ) was Christend in fine form with one keeper & a few more that came close, I did not count the fish I caught, but I would guess around 20-25 for the day. Not bad for weaseling in at the last moment, thanks guys it was a day to remember.

The dinner was a success, met up with some old friends & had a couple beers. My only regret was I did not get a chance to meet Jim Miller, I had good intentions to seek you out at the dinner Jim, but I got sidetracked more than once. Another day.

Sunday morning brought us to breakfast at Sandies, A few of the lads showed up looking a tad weary:D Flydoc, Steve Hway61 & I headed for Morris Island for a mornings fishing. Quentin showed up in the parking lot, so we all went down. Q & I found sand bar that had some fish chasing small bait around & we took to sight fishing for them. Q landed two & I landed half a dozen including one Keeper at just 29" I laid it next to my rod & for a reference my first stripper guide is at 30 1/2 inch from the butt. There were plenty of excited onlookers from Quebec that were visibly frustrated in our little show as the they were unable to hook up even when the fish were in front of them. I felt kinda bad for them, but what the heck, we have all been there. Q & I left after a while gave the Canadians some pointers and wished them luck. I called it a day & headed home.

It was great weekend, after a year off it was a much needed trip for me. I was able to rekindle old friendships & start some hopefully long lasting new ones.

#7 ·
Thanks for a great trip!

Nice trip guys! Thanks, John, for organizing and thanks to all who shared some tips and wisdom with me! Was a pleasure to spend the day with everyone. I'd love to see some of the photos that were taken at some point. I took a few - one or two came out okay.

Anyhow, hope to do it again some time!

-Phil

#8 ·
Great time guys thanks so much for setting it up John! My first time to the island was definately a sucess. Sean put Lou and I on fish early and the action was hot and heavy. I still owe you that single malt, never was able to make the rounds at dinner too much to talk about. I'll post some picks soon.
Joe

#10 ·
This was my first rip trip and I had a great time. What a beautiful place to fish! As already described, the fishing was slow to start, but as the tide progressed the fish turned on. The stripers came in waves, off and on thoroughout the day. In the first wave I caught 6 schoolies all in the sub 20" range. But as the day continued the fish were mostly in the low to mid twenties. Even though I didn't catch a keeper, ( I do have my "the- monster- fish-that-got-away" story) I caught many quality fish in the mid 20's. Later in the day I worked my way up the beach toward the pick up point and caught 15 along the way. You know it is a good day when you lose track of how many you caught. Not only was it great fishing it was fun getting to know some of the forum members. It was a great group of guys. Thanks John for organizing the trip. Now that I have made my first trip I am already addicted - keep them coming John!

In fact, all three days of the clave were memorable. Spent friday and sunday fishing with Warren and Jim (flydoc) but occasionally ran in to other members fishing the same piece of water. I didn't catch much, but I managed a couple of fish on both days. It felt great to get out on the water after a long winter. The get together on friday night was also good, especially getting to catch up with familiar faces and meeting new ones. All in all, it was fantastic!

Tigh lines to all,

Steve

#11 ·
Hi John and fellow Rip Fishers,

Thanks John for organising such a fantastic experience for all of us. Both Allan Hughes and myself had a great time. South Monomy is a beautiful and desolate place to be on and the tranquity was quite something to behold.
The fishing was great fun, I think I caught over 20 fish in total with the largest perhaps a tad over 25 inches long, but it was more than just about numbers it was the friendship that was the highlight of the day.
I recall changing my lines from I to Di3 to Di8 many many times during the day. I was so enchanted with the type of fishing I found it difficult to take a rest of more than a few minutes at a time. The best fly for me was a small chartreuss Clouser although I did try a White BT Deceiver. I did spot fish flashing just a few feet out on the walk out to the Rip but chose to ignore them preffering to get the max time possible in the rip. I think we must have cast from 08.00 to 16.00. One thing Uk fishing gives you is stamina as we have to cast and grind to get anything at all. My wrist was well tired by the days end.
Dinner was great on the night and it was good to meet up with you all once again.
I have the photos John. I will get them sent to you soonest probably by John Morgan.
I hope to return next year, shame that we could not get the weather for the Brit Trip, that will have to be postponed until 2011. Will send you an invite John.

Cheers

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.