Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip Report

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Guernseybass 
#1 · (Edited)
We all met at the refuge and we were all surprised to see Penguin waiting for us...This made 8 guys with the others, Me, Fish Hawk, Warren, FlyDoc, FrankF, Gurnsey and CJS60. First of all... The weather was perfect, probably one of the best days we have had down there... (despite dire predictions)..slight wind from the north and cloudless sky. Left at 7 on Keith's new boat which had twin 250 screws and seats for 20...take the seats away and you would have the perfect tuna boat. We walked to the point and as soon as we got there on a middle incoming tide we were on fish . Most of us on the first cast as the blues and stripers were in the wash. I caught one blue and the rest stripers. Thought they were all blues and it turned out they were mostly good summer stripers from mid to high 20's....some "close" keepers but none that I could tell..double and multiple hook ups for about 2 hours. One great time... things then slowed down as it usually does ...had lunch, joked around , some took walks, then we waited for the incoming. Unfortunatly the MUNG took the better of us... Mung was thick and the rest of the day guys were catching a solitary fish here and there. The birds were working and peanut bunker seemed to be the bait although our deep eels were doing the trick. As we left for the 5 PM pick up the birds were still hitting and a couple guys caught some stripers just under the mung cover.... but it was just to tough to hook up with that stuff.... Others will post but the day and weather were A-1.. and the company better... we are planning another for sure.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A great trip as usual. Great to fish with Warren , Frank , Mark , the Mayor , CJS60, and especially the Penguin. FlyDoc had the right prescription as he hammered the fish. Always good to fish with the Doc.
The new boat proved to be worth the money the Capt. spent on her. An awesome seaworthy boat . A lesser boat could not have made the trip.
The fish were very aggressive and the morning bite was worth the trip down.
The Rip Trip Café was open for business as usual. I'll add some photos when I down load them from the camera.
FishHawk

Attachments

#3 ·
Man what a long day. left home here in NH at 0330 and returned at 2130. (9:30pm for you non military types). I am beat but alive. When are we going again????

Despite being inundated by the Mung the day was fabulous. I had my first fish on before I even got all my line stripped off the reel. It was good to get out again, Chatham is a cool place to fish.
Gurnsey , FrankF & Penguin, Real nice to meet you folks. And as always fishing with the rest of the clan is a pleasure

Capt'n Keith can sure handle those twin Yammi's just fine, what a nice boat, Too nice a vessel for the likes of me:D The roof however has to go......now where did I put my chainsaw?:lildevl: :lildevl:

#4 ·
Sounds like you guys had a great time.
I was thinking of you while I was putzing around the yard today. The weather was soo nice. I absentmidedly commented to my wife that today would have been a day to go to the beach. She looked at me like I was crazy - a crawling one year old is no fun at the beach.
No no honey, not THAT kind of beach...:roll:

Don't be surprised if one of these days a tall mysterious stranger boards the boat with you guys and follows you out to the honey hole.;)

#7 ·
Thanks to all who contributed to what was definitely one of the most successful and enjoyable (apart from the MUNG) outings of my striper fishing career....essentially nonstop action from our arrival at the rip/tip area until the dreaded MUNG arrived on the shoreline. But even after the MUNG made fishing a near impossibility, thoroughly enjoyed the company of John, Warren, Bill, Pete, Craig, Mark, and Frank. Also loved the great ride down/back on Captain Keith's new maritime hot rod. Looking forward to the next one....
Flydoc

#10 ·
my thanks to be added also to John for organising for my first trip out to the rip on keiths new sweeet ride.

nice to see all the fellas again, and to see Pete Gray back on beach duty too.

the fishing seemed to be hotter than hot on the start of the incoming before the mung made us play hide n seek with the fish, but if you could see the fish or find a clear spot you could still catch a few :wink:

the thought of a trip down there next June during the migration is pretty mouthwatering and definately high on my priority list. Until then i'll hopefully make the september trip - 7/8/9th or 15th will be good for me.

Final thanks to Craig for his superb companionship & continuing advice, as well as making it possible to get down there. cheers chap.

Mark.

ps - Craig, range is 6.2 - 10.5. mean is 8.2 :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.