Fly Fishing Forum banner

Decent Pliers ??

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bad_angler 
#1 ·
Has anyone got a suggestion for top quality piers that wont rust ?? Cost not an issue

I have recently given away my Abel Pliers to a guide , he loved the look of them , I however found them no real use thanks to the wide body but lack of length.

I have looked at the Van Staals and Acurate and although they look '' the dogs nuts '' as we call things in the Uk , they will have the same issue. To much bulk and no length.

What im looking for is a slimline pair of pliers that you could unhook a bonefish or a smaller pollack with in the same manner as surgical forceps but perhaps with enough strength to be able to un hook Big flies from Big fish with lots of teeth .

So similar to the Doctor Slick Barracudas but high quality stanless??

Cheers

AG

#2 ·
Austen, tall order. Like you, I've got a pair of Abel pliers, and the only thing it does well is cut wire. To remedy my need, I have a pair of 10" forceps with the curved blades. Great for bluefish, and probably adequate for cudas. Good luck on your search, and let us know the result.

#3 ·
Hi Jim

Cheers hope your well.

Hopefully Mr R&D at Abel or Van Staal etc will pick up on this thread and a couple of years from now there will be a decent pair of pliers ,designed for fishing rather than just looking good in a embossed leather sheath.

See you in 7 months time!! :cool:

Oz

#4 ·
Oz....check out the Browning long nose pliers on BassPro.com...on sale for about 40 dollars....or 22 cents UK :frown: Stainless steel...at least 6 inch length and ceramic ( and replaceable) wire cutter...comes with sheath and cord. Plus if you lose them, it won't cause you to cry.
Ron

#8 ·
Tools for LIFE...

No wife...No kidz...No college loans or tuition...No allimony...NO WORRIES...WE BE TOYZ!
These will all be heavily taxed after Hillary gets elected... :roll:

The long stainless forceps grab nicely and have a cutting action toothey stay in my Yak kit...a bargain!
The HD stainless hook remover on top is my choice for sharks and baracuda in the Keys...very effective but hard on what's left of the fly...mostly a boat bluefish tool...bullet proof bargain!
Titanium VanStall...large for the boat...small for the flatz (attached to stripping basket)...10 years and going strong...
Gerber multi-tool with flick-out pliers...nice but requires constant attention and corrosion preventative maintenance...safe in my pack as a justincase McGiver tool...

Each has a time and place...you get what you pay for and lanyards lend security...measure twice cut once!

Attachments

#10 ·
An exercise in futility...

Ron...
You DON'T want to be behind me at TSA airport security check in! :hihi:

On the beach...I've got one of those emergency "I've fallen and I can't get up!" buttons...

#12 ·
google "eagle claw hook disgorger".

while I have no problem with Abel, Donmar (the smaller steel ones) and Accurates for general duties, when the fly is in deep, the eagle claw one takes care of an ugly situation quickly, cheaply and with minimun distress. They come in stainless too.

#13 · (Edited)
News....News report from Yarmouth. Police have finally located the notorious "Yarmouth Pincher"...aka... "The Doctor". Above is a picture taken by the forensic squad showing the horrendous assortment of torture devises which are currently on display at the Barstable DA's office and just released to the press. Then were located in a secret compartment in the order and placement seen in the Photo. The culprit, known as "the Penquin" with an assortment of fake teeth, coke bottle glasses and at times, a bandaid nose, to hide his true identlty is disclosed. The town is conforted by this report and the culprit has not yet confessed. "It's not what you think!, he screamed, "they are only used for fishing" he stated. A usual reply from which the police knew better and placed him under arrest. More later.:lildevl: :Eyecrazy: :razz:

'Caught in the act...:eek:

Attachments

#14 ·
What a shame John!!!!:mad: Just when I got to appreciate his photography.
Will miss the photo's, phisy banter (thank God he never had to pass MCAS) and recon reports........who will provide those services on this site now?
Well....at least the locals and tourists will be safe. :lildevl:
Ron

#16 ·
Phew Pete, for one minute there I thought they might have uncovered that D.I.Y Root Canal kit I left with you back in July (youtoo can be an endodontist :cool:)

"Is it safe ?" :eek:

#20 ·
Hi,

I came in to this thread late. My brother-in-law recently showed me a nice set of pliers that was black anondized with a sheath..there were two pliers..one needle nose sized and a large one you could do some real work. I was surprised that he bought it at Walmart..I went out and got my own set..I think for $19.95.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.