Fly Fishing Forum banner

The ultimate fishing expedition...

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Yep, it's mid-winter in the northern hemisphere and for many of us fishing is vicarious or imaginary for a little while longer. Of course the contingent in the pacific northwest is out practicing Spey casts for the arrival of the big native push of steelhead, and others are poking around on sub-tropical flats looking for shadows to cast to. Nonetheless, it's always a worthy musing to imagine the ultimate fishing trip, you never know - maybe someday we'll do it!

(mine to follow)

#2 ·
No need for me to muse, it already happened thanks to you.
For some (at least a few spoke of it that way) the Boneclave last September at Washburn Island was it. I hope that doesn't mean I'm easily ammused. But to break through the inertia in our lives and get out and meet 15 other top notch SWFF persons of such high caliber, wow. The fishing was secondary, to the people and locale. Why else would this image be on the front of this website?

I guess I'm a provincial type. Long live the cape, you other guys can drop 2 grand at the Merimachi (ok I only half mean that, I would like to go at least to the Gaspe for AS). I got the feeling the best is yet to come if I keep hanging around this website/crew/ffclub, whatever ya call it. Like the Boneclave, I had no idea what was coming, so I guess I have no idea what the ultimate will be.

Terry

#5 ·
John:
I did notice the two segments being apart and wondered if the rod was broken. Upon funrther inspection of the catalog cover I can't be sure the thing is broken. Looks like a mid section "separation" and the male ferrule doesn't show any splintering. Also, although possible, I don't know why T&T would want to put a broken rod on the cover of their catalog. Don't think it would do any good for their image.

#6 ·
So let's see...

Imagine casting to huge native steelhead on Kamchatka Peninsula, fish that had never seen a fly or human for that matter. Fish that represent some of the last vestiges of the miracle of giant searun trout on earth in it's pristine form...

Or poling over an expanse of sub-tropical flats whose sugar-white sands blend the pastel shadows of turtle grass, crabs, rays and stealthy grey forms into mirages of the mind and soul which in a word are "narcotic"...

And what about drifting the tide rush in a pea soup fog, with the only reference to anything visible being the edge of 100 foot long kelp stalks where 30 pound chinook salmon ride the turquoise depths wearing cloaks of mercury silver and black, eyes piercing into the shadows for herring and candlefish which look a lot like your meticulously tied tube fly...

Or watching the giant orange orb of the sun emerge over the atlantic on Cape Cod's outer beaches, appearing not as the bright spot in a blue sky but instead briefly revealing the magnitude of it's unimaginable size as it hovers over an infinite sea yet allowing the human eye to stare into the half light of it's core, illuminating the sand dunes with it's warming scarlet alpenglow just as the waves erupt with the slapping tails and bodies of hungry hordes of handsome striped marauders in their daily dance with the surfline...

And who could turn down the chance to cast a Spey rod over the flows of the River Dee, Spey or Tweed; to raise the noble atlantic salmon to boil the surface before leaving the water in six foot leaps and searing runs to end in a toast of the finest single malt and a vision of the chrome legend responsible for centuries of angling lore...

Or maybe it's not all that but the look on my daugther's face when the rubber-legged popper gets slapped by a bluegill, or the way a schoolie striper makes my teenage son yell excitedly about something other than a video game for a few minutes...

No, it's not any one of those - I'm quite sure it's all of that, plus everything the future has in store for us. If this association of flyfishing enthusiasts we call the Flyfishing Forum comes anywhere close to it's mission that's gonna be a whole lot!

Juro

#7 ·
Pretty sure the fish pictured on the cover of the T&T catalog is a Trevally (probably a bluefin trevally), and not a bonefish. A bonefish that size would have made every fishing magazine cover in the world by now,as it obviously blows away every world record catch to date. I also suspect it's Midway atoll, not Christmas Island. Christmas Island bonefish are notoriously small (albeit abundant) BTW.

Midway's near the top of my list for "ultimate trips", BTW. Alos up there are the Bay Islands of Honduras,and the Seychilles.

#8 ·
I'm surprised Bob Desplaines hasn't commented on that picture, he's noticed some funny things about these pictures and advertisements from his post as the fly shop manager at <!--http--><a href="http://www.bluenorthern.com" target="_blank">Blue Northern</a><!--url-->...

#9 ·
Am I envious of theat Bonefish, or what! I'm going to scan some pictures and do a write-up off line soon about my trip to St Lucia and the Billfish fishing. I reckon I had a record. Unfortunatley, this was in how quick you can break a Sage rod!

#10 ·
Study the T&T photo closely, I think the rod is broken if you look hard I think you'll see that the male and female ferruals are still connected. Ever since that new catalog came out I have asked folks that come in if they see anything wrong in the photo and quite a few feel that the rod is indeed broken.

#11 ·
I did get confirmation that the rod on T and T's catalog is indeed broken. The pic is from Christmas Island and is a Trevally (I think Steve Moore picked that out !!)...I think I could definitly put that location as one of my favorite "future" destinations.....hey, who is to say we cannot have a Christmas Island or Seychelles Clave ???

John

#12 ·
I can't help but wonder how you end up breaking a rod away from the ferrule unless the rod was nicked or just poorly constructed. I have blown up a couple of rods by horsing fish but always the break was at the ferrule. I figure T&T would not care quite as much about a ferrule break but a break in the rod that looks bad. You would think that with a bit of Photoshop they could have tidied the picture up.

Cheers,
Bruce

#14 ·
GregO -

The thread moves to the top of the list, even from subsequent pages. There is an option to sort the messages within a thread by ascending or descending order - but in most cases the order that the messages occur is the easiest to read. When threads get really long, it imposes the need to scroll - but overall it's much easier to make sense of things the way it is.

As time permits, new ways to stay connected with BB technology will become available here in the Forum.

thanks for your patience,
Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.