Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter fishing

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BowRiverguide 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am coming to stay in Calgary (Okotoks) for two weeks in March and I'm wondering what the chances of doing any fishing?
Will there be any lake fishing?

Or will it have to be ice fishing? (never done this before)

Whats the norm for winter fishing please, or don't people bother?

Many thanks,
gibbos1:)

#2 ·
There are a few warmwater outlets on the Bow near Canmore where fish can supposedly be had all winter long. I fished there during a Biathalon competition (in Jan) my daughter was in; I wouldn't call it exciting fishing.

#3 ·
There are several stretches of water on the Bow that stay open almost all year round. This time of year, it is all wade access and the water is still cold but the fishing is good.Weather is always a factor here but there are good access points on the south side which is close to Okotoks. Use Google Earth and look at 50-52-41.84N and 113-59-47.61W, OR 50-50-32.70N and 113-57-01.47W

#4 ·
Usually the biggest fish are caught on the Bow River at this time of year, it's a good time to fish and not alot of people out either.

The water is very cold and if you don't know the River it could be a one way trip. I would suggest hiring a guide. Let me know if you need my help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.