Fly Fishing Forum banner

Los Roques, Venezuela

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  salmonella 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Is there a budget way of doing Los Roques? I am making a trip to Guyana but may have to pass through Caracas to get there. I was thinking of jumping on a flight over to do some bonefishing on my way back. Any idea how much flights are to the island and if there are any budget accommodations or is it all pretty much luxury set up?

Thanks,

Mike

#2 ·
The flights are only a couple hundred round trip but I understand you'd be limited to fishing the beaches and shorelines verses the famous pancake flats. However that's not a bad thing - the beaches have large bones that are catchable on your own. Since this is more of a fling than a dedicated trip why not if you have the time and means.

#4 ·
I haven't been but you sure have my curiosity up on this archipelago now.

Here's a link that I believe represents loding on Los Roques, although there may be other cheap options.

The rooms rooms run $150 US and up...

http://www.venezuelatuya.com/hoteles/losroqueseng.htm

#8 ·
Well gents,

Sort of bad news I guess. I am no longer traveling via Caracas, so Los Roques is out for this trip. It is definitely on my dream list for places to go though (along with Christmas Island and Turneffe).

My flight now goes through Trinidad, so I am now stuck with attempting to find some bonefish in Tobago, which I had no luck with the last time I tried there. Anyone have any tips for there?

C-YA

Mike

#12 ·
Hi a first post for me on a new forum.

I've always wanted to visit Los Roques but the price $3595 (from Caracas) for a full week, organized from the UK, has put me off, slightly:wink: .

It's nice to know of alternatives. What's the political situation in Venezuela - is it still safe destination?

I'm thinking of mid March'08; on my way back from a Buenos Aires visit:cool:

'ella

#14 ·
Hi Frank
There are a number of threads on this site on the subject of fishing in Los Roques.

My last report was on a thread titled "Bonefish on a dry fly".

Pete

If you guys want a complete how to get there, where to stay, guides, tackle, fish etc then I will need to write a book.

#16 · (Edited)
Hi folks...
I might have some usefull information about LR as well.
I spend 11 days there with 3 mates in March this year on a budget DIY trip.
Please let me now if I should share some cheap Posadas (compared to the general price level in LR which is raising).

Salmonella - you dont want to spend more time in Caracas than neccesarry. However Los Roques is very peacefull and safe.
The cost for our trip ended at approx 2200 USD per person.
This price included
- round-trip from Copenhagen (Denmark) to Caracas
- one-way flight from Caracas to Magarita
- one-way flight from Magarita to LR
- one-way flight from LR to Caracas
- 2 nights in Magarita (we missed a plane from Caracas to LR so we had 2 days to kill)
- 10 or 11 nights in LR
- 1 day guided fishing at the pancakes
- bears/rum every night
- all meals
- all boat-taxi rides

in other words, everything :D

Greetings,

#17 ·
kyhnau said:
Hi folks...
I might have some usefull information about LR as well.
I spend 11 days there with 3 mates in March this year on a budget DIY trip.
Please let me now if I should share some cheap Posadas (compared to the general price level in LR which is raising).
The prices in LR are rising?:eek: But still US$ right?

kyhnau said:
Salmonella - you dont want to spend more time in Caracas than neccesarry. However Los Roques is very peacefull and safe.
The cost for our trip ended at approx 2200 USD per person.
This price included
- round-trip from Copenhagen (Denmark) to Caracas
- one-way flight from Caracas to Magarita
- one-way flight from Magarita to LR
- one-way flight from LR to Caracas
- 2 nights in Magarita (we missed a plane from Caracas to LR so we had 2 days to kill)
- 10 or 11 nights in LR
- 1 day guided fishing at the pancakes
- bears/rum every night
- all meals
- all boat-taxi rides

in other words, everything :D

Greetings,
Sounds cool:cool:

The UK travel agents are now trying to price these trips in Euros; however as I made my initial enquiry with Christer in dollars. I'll keep it that way.
I'm not sure how advertising/spam goes on this forum so I won't name his company.
I think I need to keep my time in Caracas to a minimum. Where does the LR flight originate, Caracas or Margarita?

'ella

#18 ·
Hi 'ella
I know of a few different Outfitters that organise trips there. If you need some more info let me know.

You said you made your intitial enquiry with Christer, who is that?
The LR flight originates in Caracas. If you plan you flights correctly, you can fly into Caracas and then straight out to LR.
Also the airport at Caracas is an hour's drive from the centre. There is no need to go down town. If you must overnight then I can recommend a couple of hotels not far from the airport.
It is usefull to have someone there to arrange the internal transfers and hotels if necessary. I also know someone who can do that.

Let me know.

Pete

#19 ·
salmonella said:
The prices in LR are rising?:eek: But still US$ right?

Sounds cool:cool:

The UK travel agents are now trying to price these trips in Euros; however as I made my initial enquiry with Christer in dollars. I'll keep it that way.
I'm not sure how advertising/spam goes on this forum so I won't name his company.
I think I need to keep my time in Caracas to a minimum. Where does the LR flight originate, Caracas or Margarita?

'ella
Well, you can pay most guides and posadas (private guesthouses) with dollars.
However I believe you get most value for your money by changing to local valuta (Bolivar) in the domestic airport in Caracas. Thats what we did at least. It was a good deal, as we afterwards found out that we had gotten 30-50% more Bolivar per dollar than we could have gotten in LR)

You can fly to LR from both Caracas and Margarita. Its cheaper to fly from Caracas, but Margarita is a much nicer place. I guess it would be possible to fly from UK directly to Margarita. However, the flights from Margarita to LR is not as often as from Caracas.

Our costs with todays exchange rate:
12000 DKR ~ 2270 USD ~ 1610 Euro

#20 ·
You can do LR on a budget. I did and it worked out at around £1000 all-in, including the international flight. OK, this was back in 2004 but I still reckon it can be done sub £1500 - even with a guided day or two - especially if you go with someone else.

You do limit yourself fishing from just the recreational zone beaches but it's still a blast and a pretty cheap Bonefish holiday. Speaking some Spanish will help as well.

#21 ·
petevicar said:
Hi 'ella
I know of a few different Outfitters that organise trips there. If you need some more info let me know.

You said you made your intitial enquiry with Christer, who is that?
Hi Pete,

Sorry for the delay; I've been fishing for a week;)

I meant Christer Sjoberg of Loop, whose company runs the Patagonia sea trout fishing I've already booked for March'08.
They used to advertise 'Los Roques' 3 or 4 years ago; but it's not promoted much in the UK anymore (or I've been looking in the wrong places ).

I'll certainly get in touch if I decide to go.

One final question: does the local flight to Los Roques have a full 'international' luggage allowance? This is important as I'd have all my cold weather fishing gear & Spey rods on top of the usual kit.

'ella

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.