Fly Fishing Forum banner

Caddis for Kids 'Tie-a-Thon' Press Release

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post this. A VERY good cause and well worth supporting if you can. As a child I spent a lot of time at Childrens with a life threatening illness and any support they can get is going to a good place. I know I will be there to show my support!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts:
Don Johnson, 360-432-0402
Kira Haller, Children's Hospital
206-987-4987

Caddis For Kids to Benefit Children's Hospital

Seattle, WA

Don Johnson's Third Annual "Caddis for Kids" Charity Tie-a-Thon will be held Friday and Saturday, November 21st and 22nd at the Avid Angler Fly Fishing Outfitters (17171 Bothell Way NE, A130, Lake Forest Park, Washington, 206-362-4030). Don, a noted angling writer and professional fly-tier, will attempt to dress over 500 Miracle Caddis flies in just 24 hours. Net proceeds will benefit the uncompensated care program at Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center.

The 'tie-a-thon', which begins at Noon the 21st, will be followed by a fly-tying demonstration conducted by a panel of some of the finest fly-tying artists ever assembled including Alec Jackson, Norm Norlander, Mike Croft, the Avid Angler's own Nathan Keen, Stu Farnham, Ms. Pat Bolton, and Scotty Howell. The presentation-grade flies dressed by the panelists will be auctioned at a later date with the proceeds benefiting Children's Hospital.

For pledges, donations and/or corporate sponsorship information contact Kira Haller of Children's Hospital Foundation at 206-987-4987 or Don Johnson at 360-432-0402.

About Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center
As both a community hospital for greater Seattle and the pediatric referral center for the Pacific Northwest, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center provides directly or in partnership with others, excellent pediatric care, education and research programs. Children's is an advocate on behalf of health care needs of children at local, state and national levels. Children's provides health care appropriate for the special needs of children regardless of race, sex, creed, ethnicity or disability. Financial assistance is provided based upon family need and hospital resources. Children's has been recognized by Child magazine and U.S. News & World Report as one of the best children's hospitals in the country.

See less See more
#4 ·
Spey Clave fundraiser

Hey Fred,
If you can figure a way to take donations or make money at the Spey Clave on behalf of Children's, I am sure they will always and gladly accept the contributions. If you need any help or if I can help facilitate such an endeavor, just let me know; I have all the contacts and would jump at the opportunity.

Last year I believe Children's spent in excess of 25 million for uncompensated care, which is where the money from CfK goes. My point is that every donation helps no matter how small or large. There is no better investment that can be made than in a child.

Regards,
Don Johnson

#5 · (Edited)
Good answer Don.

As you're probably aware (usually the 3'rd weekend in March) Joan and I host a charity Spey clinic here on the Rogue. Historicly (sp?) the funds have been split up between three groups that promote fly fishing for youth.

Funds can be used for any purpose, as long as it funds a 'youth fishing' activity. All be it's up to the Board (you guys calll the shots on where I send the checks), but this sounds like a wonderful expantion of the purpose of the clinic.

Nothing better than a 'well child' to take fishing!!

fae

I should have added: My Son Greg has been at Children's Hospital; fell over like a ton of bricks when he was 13. Found out he had a nasty case of dibetes.
:(

#6 · (Edited)
Fred-

If you're planning to do a 501(c)(3) thing, it's wise to elicit advice from one of your attorney friends who'd be willing to do up a non-profit charter and corporate filing.

I'm sure it goes without saying any organization who performs charitable fundraising and redistribution is responsible to (PC 990) report solicitations and re-distributions to IRS, home state Department of Revenue and perhaps (in the case of Massachusetts) reporting responsibility to the Attorney General's Public Charities Division.

I'm throwing this out as a most-likely scenario; not to seem like a smart-A$$.

EDIT: Just 'conversed' with salmn8r - thanks for the clarification. I think your idea re: mention of the incidental organization is justified.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.