Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wading boots

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sean 
#1 ·
I've got some flats booties / dive boots that have served me well on the cape but we don't have coral or many pointy critters crawling around. I've got some aqua stealth with studs that are great for rocky shores but not otherwise comfortable to walk in. The dive boots have seen better days and are worn in places from walking in rough sand, so it might be time for an upgrade. I'm thinking about the Simms flats sneakers or the Marlwalkers. I figure either of these would work well on the boat and maybe save me a pair of sneakers this year. Anyone out there with wide feet have either of these? How far up would you size them from what is your normal size shoe?

#2 ·
You really need to try them on befor you buy them. The sizing is all over the place. You also need to get the pair that fits the best. If you don't have time to try on a few different pairs, you should stick with what you've got and maybe seee if you can get a pair down in the Keys. Another thought: order a bunch of them and try them on @ home, and then return the ones that don't work out.
Also, I think that the old style neoprene flats booties are pretty good too.

#3 ·
Jim,

I have worn both and if you have wide feet the old-style Marlwalkers are out of the question. They are very narrow and rigid. The new ones might be different.

I like the Simms flats sneakers. They are much wider and don't go halfway up your shin like the Marlwalkers do. Comfortable and very tough...

#4 ·
I have both - the Simms are older and were made narrow; the patagonias are more suited to my foot shape. However the older the simms got the better they fit and they have last a seriously long time. The Marlwalkers fit comfy right out of the box. Neither are sized right for waders but only for wet wading, I think I would have to buy another pair to get my them on wader feet. The new breathable thin material on feet might change that.

I would highly recommend buying a pair or two of synthetic hiking socks with a fine weave to wear inside either shoe to prevent serious blisters and chafing from coral dust and to fill up empty spaces.

Because the socks are constantly wet they do not cause heat but the padding and separation from silt is priceless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.