Fly Fishing Forum banner

Maine Salmon Clave?

7K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  gunner 
#1 ·
On Friday, June 23, 2006 - Bangor Daily News wrote:

Penobscot salmon fishing OK'd

EDDINGTON - For the past six years, salmon fishermen have gathered on opening day to rehash old fish tales rather than cast their hand-tied flies into Maine rivers.

But this fall, some skillful or lucky anglers likely will return home with new stories about the big one that got away or, better yet, the even bigger one they landed and released.

The Maine Atlantic Salmon Commission voted unanimously Thursday to reopen a stretch of the Penobscot River near Bangor to Atlantic salmon fishing for one month this fall. The catch-and-release fishery will give anglers their first chance to legally hook a sea-run salmon in Maine since 1999.

The season will run from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, although the commission retains the option of closing the fishery at any time to protect the river's salmon population. The stretch of river that will be open to angling - from 150 feet below the Veazie Dam fishway downstream to the former site of the Bangor Dam - includes many of the fishing pools that made the Penobscot famous.

Fishermen will be restricted to artificial flies with single-pointed, barbless hooks and must immediately release any caught fish unharmed without removing them from the water.

"This is a great milestone and a great opportunity, and I personally hope it works," said Roland "Danny" Martin, commissioner of the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and one of the ASC's three board members.

Martin's sentiment may help explain why the coming season was labeled "experimental."

The Atlantic Salmon Commission closed all Maine rivers to fishing for sea-run Atlantic salmon in December 1999 in response to precipitous population declines of the fish. The federal government later placed the distinct salmon populations in eight Maine rivers on the endangered species list.

Salmon populations in the Penobscot have since recovered somewhat, although the number of adults returning to spawn fluctuates annually. Biologists are pleased with the 650-plus adults counted in the Veazie Dam fishway so far this spring, but are hesitant to make predictions for the year.

Commission staff and board members received plenty of feedback from biologists, fishermen and conservation groups both for and against reopening the Penobscot to salmon fishing, even temporarily.

Some fishermen and scientists urged the commission to keep the river closed, arguing that even a monthlong fishery could weaken a population already teetering on the edge.

Many fishermen said they would prefer to fish in the spring when populations are higher and the fish stronger after months or years at sea. Other anglers said they would gladly take whatever fishing opportunities they can get.

In the end, the commission weighed the scientific evidence and concluded that a catch-and-release fishery held in the fall would pose no long-term danger to the Penobscot's salmon population, said board chairman Dick Ruhlin.

"This is a conservative approach and one that I ... have a lot more confidence in," Ruhlin told audience members gathered Thursday at the Eddington Salmon Club.

That didn't eliminate all of the grumbling about the spring vs. fall fishery, however.

Lou Horvath, a past president of the Penobscot, Veazie and Eddington salmon clubs, said he doesn't approve of a fall fishery. But he predicted that the fishery would provide a boost to the fishing community and the local economy.

George Chalmers, a member of the Penobscot Salmon Club, said he also would have preferred a spring season but was pleased that the commission heeded the calls of fishermen to reopen the Penobscot. Chalmers said the season would help the local clubs.

"All of the clubs are hurting for membership," he said. "No fishing, there's no membership."

Any interest in a celebration of the American salmon? I am going for sure, but I thought it might be fun to have a group check it out.

The attitude is not one of exploitation but one of support, experience and celebration.

Please reply if interested in this September event.

See less See more
#28 ·
Well the options are:

The opener...

take Friday off and crash Thursday night up there. Fish thru the weekend.

Tweeners...

Any mid-week day is game; also a two-vacation day outing would be nice. Drive up Wed PM fish Thurs, Fri and either or both weekend days.

(Boneclave is October 6-8 on the Cape)

The closer...

October 14-15th, Friday prior is 13th for those who can get that off. Should be less crowded

Crowds likely to be biggest opening week; fish likely to be less cooperative after four weeks of pursuit upon them in October. A two-day tweener with weekend (total 3-4 days) is probably the best unless we want to try the opener.

#30 ·
regulations - section 1.03

1.03 Experimental Open Season

Time Period
There will be a limited, experimental open season for directed angling for Atlantic salmon from September 15, 2006 to October 15, 2006 on the Penobscot River in the area specified below.
Open Area
Penobscot River; between two painted red markers placed on opposing banks that are 150 feet below the Veazie Dam fishway, down river to the former site of the Bangor Dam, which does not include the pool below the former dam site.
Conditions
Directed angling for Atlantic salmon shall be permitted in the above specified open area and time period under the following conditions:
Catch and release only. Any salmon hooked must be released immediately without injury;
No salmon shall be removed from the water for any reason;
Fly Fishing Only. Fly must be tied on a single pointed barbless, hook. Only one fly or hook can be fished at any one time (no dropper flies);
Daily Catch and Release limit is one fish. Any angler who hooks and releases one salmon must stop fishing for the day;
Fishing is only permitted in the open area specified in section 1.03(2) when green flags are displayed at the Veazie Dam, Eddington Salmon Club and Penobscot Salmon Club;
Anglers must obtain an Atlantic salmon license in accordance with 12 M.R.S.A § 9904 prior to fishing for Atlantic salmon under this section.
All Atlantic salmon licence holders must report all fishing activity at the end of the season on forms supplied by the Commission. Failure to comply with this reporting requirement may result in the denial of renewal of a license.
Closure
The Commission may close the fishery during the open season if it is deemed necessary to protect the resource. The specified open area shall be closed to all fishing for Atlantic salmon when red flags are displayed at the Veazie Dam, Eddington Salmon Club and Penobscot Salmon Club.

#32 ·
Yeah we don't need any such bonehead action after all these years.

I like the regulation stating that the fish must not be removed from the water under any circumstances. One of my favorite photos is the one where the fish is viewed from above held lightly by the tail as it recovers with the fins flared ready to go at any moment; or slightly turned to show the sleek flanks of the atlantic salmon in the water.

I might make a cradle - two wooden dowels and some soft knotless mesh from the fabric store.

#33 ·
Man, if only there were vacation days to go around. I wish like mad that I could string up the two-hander for this. Maybe next year. Please keep us informed as to what transpires up there.
Next year it could be a perfect reason to make a visit to the in-laws in Maine.

#34 ·
The lower end of the "open area" unfortunately does not include the Penobscot Salmon Club "homewater" below the old water works dam ( a good striper spot as well). The two pools that will prbably see the most activity will we at the dam and the Eddington Bend. I almost bought a house right across the street from the bend, pretty water. Those smallies will tear up an orange cosseboom.:hihi:

#37 ·
Yes thats the device - I saw someone using it for steelhead over on speypages and thought it was a good idea for in-water handling of large salmonids especially those on a very long lonely road to recovery.

I would imagine the Penobscot will not call for the type of bushwacking and adventurous wading that makes such a thing impractical to carry around where I fish for steelhead out on the pacific coast. It should roll up compactly and with two caps and a nylon snap / strap may be easy to carry.

Tell you what I will put your fish in the cradle if you hook up in exchange for your assistance with my fish :smokin:

#38 ·
Penobscot

I know every inch of the water. One thing to keep in Mind. YOU MUST FISH THE TIDES. When The water raises twice a day, So do the fish, Time your outings for the raise in water. Was especially true when it was open. You had the place to yourselves and then all of a sudden there would be six rods in the rack waiting to rotate. Use Barbless hooks, Let them go Quickly, I may have to participate but I will NOT be In Eddington! Can't stand the wait!!!!! :devil:

#44 ·
I held off because often plans need to 'gel' a little. Also my schedule is always volatile with so much going on right now family wise.

Probably smart to do a day or two around a weekend (before/after) not too late in the open time frame but maybe we might skip the opener due to inevitable competition.

Hows the second weekend of the season with Thursday PM / all Friday / all Sat / Sun AM fishing sound to the group? (September 21-24th)

Participate as much or little as you can. Group dinner will be Friday or Sat after dusk. Nightly tying, etc. If we get a place appropriate for group cooking Randy can cook every night ;) ;)

There can be more than one 'wave' of participants, there are four weeks in the season.

Tasks to complete:

- confirm dates
- decide on lodging for those interesting in group rates / food etc
- group dinner plan

Out of courtesy, we will require a sign up to help those who are volunteering to plan accordingly.

I am really looking forward to this.

#45 ·
I will be away chasing steelhead from September 7th-17th, and working on my Spey skills, so I won't be able to make it if you have it those dates. I will be without a PC So I won't be able to help with cordinating any of the clave plans. Count me in for helping with the food/meals, I am open to camping or hotels. If we can plan it around a weekend, I can make it any weekend after the 17th.
-Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.