Fly Fishing Forum banner

Vacation AKA FF Trip planning help

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  doug 
#1 ·
Hi Gang,
I just got to go back to the salt and do more of the stripers and other such critters. Spousal requirements are to spend a few days in Boston and then I can head for the beaches and try my luck again on the fishies. Looks like July (later part of the month) will be the chosen month, but August is also a possibility. Had a great time with Juro last year in early May for schoolies and this time I will bring my own rods and lines. Probably can do 3 or 4 days of fishing, the rest of the time will be tourist-thing. And I really don't want to miss out on too much time away from the Bow and the Elk since this year is shaping up to be another grand year out here in God's country.
Juro & others, what time would you recommend to spend a week or so hanging around Cape Cod and get a chance at hooking up with a biggun or two??
What species should I be anticipating for the next several months of waiting?
I'll have to make hotel & ferry reservations early since this time of the year I am told is very busy and my wife wants to get to Nantucket this time around.

#2 ·
Pete - The pleasure was all mine last year, looking forward to some more stripah action when you come out. I'm sure Doug, John, and others will provide you with firsthand information about ferries, we'll get you sqaured away. As far as the striper action, toward the end of July / start Aug you will be in what could be a doldrum phase unless you know where to go. Boat anglers in the rips do great, Billingsgate on the bayside - loaded with fish, North shore's cold waters up to Maine - loaded. On cape, there will be plenty of blues around. An evening on the outer beaches might be the ticket for a bruiser bass.

As you know Pete, there are always bass around thru the season it's just a matter of where and when. We'll set you up with venue choices and keep you tuned in as the time approaches.

I hope to visit Calgary so in return just have a pack horse, blanket and 4wt ready when I do

#3 ·
Pete,
Like Juro mentioned, things usually slow down July/August....atleast for stripers. Unless you get access to a boat.
May/June is probably the best numbers wise.
As for ferry info for the vineyard, try www.islandferry.com
Vehicle reservations made very early are strongly suggested.

Doug B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.