Fly Fishing Forum banner

A trip to the flyshop...

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
I am planning a small fishing trip after work with one of the moderators of this board. He gave me advise, after a scouting trip to the river, on some of the flies I should have in my box.

I took a lovely sunday drive to a flyshop with my girlfriend. We had to walk throught the floor in the store with guns and mounted animals on the wall to get to the Orvis department. I could tell she was uncomfortable. Once in the shop I started searching through the nymphs and terrestrials while she started to look at the tying material.

The salesman asked if I needed help. "Well," I responded,"Iam sure that I do but I have no idea what questions to ask." The salesman moved away from me quickly with a chuckle knowing he just avoided getting stuck in swamp mud.:rolleyes:

She suggested a few flies that I should buy because they were "cute". I never heard this word used before by flyfishermen. I thought that if it was cute to her it would be cute to the trout. I proceeded to pick out the less cute nymphs.

She returned to the materials. To her horror she saw a rabbit mask complete with eye holes and ears. "My god! What can you catch with this?" I knew she was not a PETA member. But I could sense that she was apalled. I could not bring myself to say beagle bass.

I knew that it takes a special woman to embrace this pasttime. The one's who found them...you know who you are.

See less See more
#2 ·
The hare's mask is impaled with a 3/0 treble hook and thrown out into a local field on a 9 wt rod. When the coyotes are around, it provides plenty of action.....:devil:

Just kidding, of course. You did a great job picking out some winning flies, even the cute one. :p Looking forward to giving them a try!

#3 ·
Puck said:

She returned to the materials. To her horror she saw a rabbit mask complete with eye holes and ears. "My god! What can you catch with this?" I knew she was not a PETA member. But I could sense that she was apalled. I could not bring myself to say beagle bass.

I've never found the right thing to say in that situation. With my wife that is the one item that will really set her off. I wonder what would happen if I bought a fox or coyoyte mask home :devil:

#5 ·
LOL, when I was out in South Dakota three weeks went into a local antler, fur, and claw shop. They had coyote, hairs, and many other types of masks and skins. Just about everything you could think about. Knew my two boys would tell my wife what ever I bought and she is an animal lover. I bought a couple of bucktails so they could not tell her dad bought that hairs mask or fox tail etc..

God only knows what I would have bought if my two boys were not there and I have could have sneaked it into the house with any one knowing. They had some interesting skins.

Wish there was a shop like that in Chicago..

#6 ·
Well I guess, as a taxidermist and a long time fur trapper I wont be invited to many of your houses for dinner :chuckle: You guys gotta do what I did and marry a native american women who grew up with this stuff. One of the requirements required by her father, before I marry her,.. was to have the hunters blood in me :)

#9 ·
My wife has shot enough animals and skinned and gutted and packed em out of the woods that I can just barely relate to this thread, but I can! With few exceptions my fishing buddies are married to women who are some what less outdoorsy than Dame "D" (my loving spouse). Those Evergreen graduates are a spicy lot , of which she is one.
Its a simple matter of education be careful and be informative do not make up white lies just tell it like it is you might be suprised by the outcome. Obfuscation regarding dead animal skins is playing into the hands of those who would stop us from our heritage. (PETA etc)
God I love leather, jackets, upholstery, belts, fly reel cases. Did I mention shoes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.