Fly Fishing Forum banner

Irondequoit Creek

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Hey im going flyfishing for the second time tomorrow with my dad and i was wondering what to use in Irondequoit Creek. The creek is fast moving with lots of bends and holes and it's mostly a steelhead stream with brown trout in it too. What flies should i use and where should i fish? All the snow melted here so the water is higher than normal and fairly murky. Thanks!

#5 ·
I have been to Irondequoit before. What you have should work but I would also get some big, dark wooly buggers. With the water being high I think they would be your best bet. You will want big dark flies that they can see in the off colored water. Black would be best but some purple and brown ones would also work.

Good luck! And let us know how you do.

Charlie.

#7 ·
The woolly buggers are a great suggestion, they're a great winter fly for all trout/salmon species. I would definitely try some with a bit of flash to them. You could also try some nymphs with a little flash to them like a flashback pheasant tail.

#8 ·
well i went yesterday and we caught nothing except for a dead one which put up a good fight for being just a spinal cord and decaying skin! My brother and dad both got a couple bites though. My brother was using an egg pattern and my dad was using a really big purple fly. I was using a brown stone fly because i lost my pink one :mad: I lost my pink stonefly pattern that someone the day before caught an 11 lber on. Any suggestions for tomorrow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.