Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anyone been paddlin?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  doogue 
#1 ·
Who's been running around in a yak lately? I haven't been in mine since fall...and with the looks of it, not gonna be for a little while again.

So, let me live vicariously...anyone?

Nick

#2 ·
Nick, Funny you should ask. I myself have not been out, but I talked to Doug Gray at Billington sea on Saturday. Doug renewed his sponsorship with us and was demoing a touring boat to a customer. So of course the topic came up, Been paddlin' lately

His answer was suprising. Doug paddles all winter. I assumed he was talking fast moving rivers but I guess the coast of Maine has been a good spot for him. He mentioned the ice flows on the incoming tide:whoa:

That's paddlin'

#3 ·
Not sure if my SIT would handle that without a drysuit, but man does that sound like fun.

#4 ·
Man,

The icy waters off the coast of Maine get more action than I would have imagined!

My friends from college (when I was in Maine) used to surf in January. 100% crazy if you ask me. They would get up at 5 AM and drive to the coast in 0 degree weather and surf. They would be back for a 9 AM class too.

And I think that I am crazy at times when I get up to fish...

These hard core surfers now own and operate the Newport Storm Brewing Company out of Newport, RI.

I have yet to yak this year but I am planning on taking whitewater lessons in NH soon and I am planning on attending a rolling clinic (pool training) in early May. The skills will be handy in the salt although I do not plan on trying to roll my Necky (Zoar sport). That rig is all about the wet exit and re-entry at this point.

I plan to be out on the lakes in NH in the Necky in early May. Pleasant Bay to follow soon thereafter.

-Mike

#6 ·
I'd be up for that...hopefully it will happen sooner then that though!

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.