Fly Fishing Forum banner

Morris Island Fishing

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CSJ60 
#1 · (Edited)
Planned to take the Rip Ride to SB after the fog burned off 8:30 but not running today.

I fished Morris Island in the AM and saw more big bass than I could count. It was unbelievable. I make a cast to one of those bad boys, fish turns to make a beeline for my fly. Fish gets to about six feet from the fly then turns way. As the fish turns I look up and see a parade of yaks going by not 20 feet from there the fish WAS. :mad: I can’t believe my luck.

Saw my first school of albie’s busting bait…biggest school of baitfish I have seen, close to 100 yards long. Fish were well beyond casting range.

Tide turns and I start to make way back… again lots of bass but not the cows in the AM. I did manage to hook up… released a nice 29” bass.
:D

#3 ·
Craig, I was going to ask the same question...when I went by Jared from the Orvis store...saw him at the mouth of Stage harbor on one of the bars with a client as we motored by..he later told me that he had hooked a FA at the mouth. Stage harbor has always been one of the spots.

#4 · (Edited)
Didn't get that far... fished around the coner from RR to where the deep water comes to the beach. Talked to another FF and he said he released a small albie but the guy next to him landed an 8 - 10 lb. albie. Wish I could have seen that.

FA were taken from the beach in the deep water at the channel

#5 · (Edited)
Guy With the 10lb Albie

I was waiting to reply with the pictures... but....

I was the lucky FF at the mouth of Stage Harbor on Sunday morning. Several of us had worked along the bottom of Morris Island and I was the last to reach the channel. Just after my first cast, Mr. Fat Albert showed up in force (schools of 5+) driving the bait onto the sand. I quickly changed flies and cast into the next blitz. Sure enough, before I knew it, the line was flying off the reel! My first funny fish.

:) :) :)

Tunny took about 150 yds of line through 3 big runs! I started walking down the sand to try and get back some line (almost to the spool) but thankfully he eventually turned. Fighting against the current as well. 5 minutes later I had one 10lb Tunny on the beach. Definitely tested my 8wt rod and Redington 7/8 reel to the limit (the drag was not happy). For those interested, I caught him on a Surf Candy with silver sides.

Pictures should be available tomorrow and I will post. Many thanks to Jim Simms (whom I met at the channel) for playing photographer.

Very jealous of people heading on the Rhody trip. I cannot imagine catching multiple of this fish in one day.

On another note, the albies did come back and I hooked up a second time (in 2 feet of water) but lost the fish during the initial run. Probably did not get the hook set.

What an experience!!!

Jay

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.