Fly Fishing Forum banner

The coolest thing since seeing a blitz off the Sagamore Bridge!

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  grego 
#1 ·
Saw the coolest thing: On my way out of Logan on a 757 today, we flew out over Nut Island. There was a HUMONGOUS blitz going on in the wake of the outgoing current passing thru gap in the middle of the little spit / bar on the outside of the treatment island. I would estimate that we were 300-1000 feet coming off the runway directly over the spit while I could see. I always longed to see a blitz from a plane and finally it happened!

As we swung around, it was easy to see Nahant, Devereaux, Marblehead, Manchester, and all of Cape Ann... and how close they are geographically. Looking from a southbound vector from where they were last week it makes a lot of sense.

Don't know if there's any stench from the plant but there sure is a melee going on there.

I predict Nantasket will get a push if they don't tuck inside Hingham Harbor, warmer and protected. Big pogies used to choke that harbor in the old days.

I still think Powers and the Esteys are headed for a late season visit from the biomass before the fat lady sings, mouth of the North River.

But somehow the presence of greenbacks in Rhody pulls at my instincts...

See less See more
#2 ·
Earlier this year, I was coming back from a work trip in DC. It was a very clear day, late afternoon & still light out. The pilot announced that Logan was backed up & we had to circle over RI for a while. As we swung around to the SW, I was surprised that I could Identify several landmarks Pt Judith, some of the Breachways, Watch Hill & even NapaTree. I guess this area is pretty distinctive.

A lot of times as I'm coming into Logan, I don't know where the heck I am. I look down & think is that Hull? Or which Island is that? I can certainly Identify Deer Island by the Waste treatment "Eggs", but I guess I don't really have a firm grasp of the topology of The Boston Waters.

And I've yet to see a blitz from the air; however, my wife's uncle is a third owner of a plane & has offered many times to take me up!

#3 ·
I've been trying to hook up with someone with aerial capabilities for photographic opportunities. If anyone has the ability to take us up to shoot our favorite spots from the sky, let us know!

I'll be bringing my camera when I fly and sitting at the window seat as much as possible. I wish I had it yesterday!

#4 ·
Juro:

My wife's uncle is a third owner of a single engine plane. Not only does he have a pilots license, but he's also an instructor. He also does that nutty soaring thing (no engines). He has asked me multiple times if I wanted to go up & even offered to fly over some coastal locals. He flies his plane out of Lawrence. He also has said that fall is the best time for arial photogaphy; high pressure, low humidity (Haze) & foliage to boot!

#5 ·
That would be awesome to get some photos of your favorite spots. Aerial photos are ideal for referencing structure. Problem is that most aerial photos are at least a couple years old so they're no longer useful for showing coastal structure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.