Fly Fishing Forum banner

Where to fish in MD

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  wilson 
#1 ·
I am desperately wanting to catch some trout on my rod but finding a place has been a struggle. I am looking for exact locations to a stream that I can start at. Any help would be helpful.

#2 ·
Head up into PA towards the Yellow Breeches. Start there and explore the Cumberland. There are also some rivers in MD near you, the Savage and some others up in the hills. There is a published fly fishing guide in Maryland you can get at any book store. It'll put you on top of them (but that's no fun). Shame the Susquehanna is blown, great sulphur hatch there the bass get stupid over (some summers).

-Chris

#3 ·
I believe I have the book you suggested and have read it cover to cover atleast 4 times. I have just not had any luck. I caught my first trout in PA on Spring Creek by Penn state a few months ago and now I am trying to catch some in my home town. It seems quite a daunting task. I have hit 3 major trout hotspots here already with no success. I will just keep trying.

#4 ·
My heart goes out. However, I will be honest, MD is not exactly a trout fishing Mecca which is why I mentioned PA. Having grown up in Upstate NY MD was a letdown on the trout fishing. The Smallie fishing was great as the spring Shad fishing rounded out my year. You can also look for some brookies in VA up in the mountains and there are some smaller streams up in Howard county that have some and holdover browns. Get a good topo map and do a little hunting and hiking.

I'm having the same experience here in Oregon for Steelhead so I know what you're going through. My plans are to head for the salt when I get back East in August. It's something that I didn't have on my roadmap but now am eager to try.

Keep an eye on the DNR site also. Not to say to follow the stocking trucks ('cause that's akin to fishing with dynamite) but it has the occasional lead which may be useful.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/index.asp

-Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.