Fly Fishing Forum banner

Arrg! Another 'bust' in tieing tube flys with the 'bottle shaped'..

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
tubes.

Love these things do to their shape, size and built in weight. But getting my thread to hold in place (initially) to tie the fly is driving me up a wall!! 'Tubes' are so slick/polished that getting a grab on them (even with extra wax applied to the thread) is a royal pain where one sits.:mad:

Any suggestions??????????

#3 ·
Fred,

You can also hold the other end of the thread in the off-hand, wind over it while under tension, then trim close once bound. After that continue to cover up the trimmed end and tie as you would normally from there.

I have them and use them but most of the time just use standard tubes - but they can be slick as well.

#4 ·
Try putting a small bit of Zap-A-Gap or Lok-Tite (sp?) to your thread before you wrap it on. I watched Toni Karuvaara do this during a tube fly tying demo at the last GL Clave. He did not use a knot anywhere on his flies, including the heads. He was, however, using plastic tubes, but I think he said he uses this technique on all tube material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.