Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beginning Fly Fishing

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am beginning to learn how to fly fish. I have a few questions. My 1st question is I want to get a beginners fly rod (combo) for under $120. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want 8/9 line wght. My next question is if anyone is from the Tampa Bay, Florida area. I am located about an hour North of Tampa. My third questin is if there are any saltwater fly makers in this forum. I am looking for mainly basic inshore flies and flies for the flats (reds, snook, trout, jacks, ladyfish, and basically any drum). Another question is if anyone has heard of "flies4sale" in Sarasota, Florida. I would vary much appreciate it if these questions would be answered. Thanks.

Sean

#2 ·
I would first try a search of the forums because this subject has been addressed many times by a lot of people here... If fact I recall one such similar question just a week or so ago... use the key words and check this forum and the 'World wide discussion" including "tackle" forum. Also Books By Lefty Kreh, Lou Tabory, Ed Mitchell will all have sections on the basic equipment... don't forget your local fly shop. The Fly tyers on this forum are not commercial (as far as I can Tell). But the books also provide an assortment of basic flys as well.

#4 ·
Also Redington has some great starter combos as well as Cabela's. Check you're local fly shop as well, some have combos set up that will be just the ticket. Personally, I would bump your minimum up a little bit to 200 dollars. You'll get a set up that will last you a little longer and withstand the rigors of the salt much better.

And Welcome to the FFF!!

Nick

#5 ·
The prices at your local shop should not be much more expensive than at Cabellas etc. You would do well to try to shop locally because a good local shop can give you local infiormation, casting lesson, and all kinds of other help that a mail order shop can not.

#6 ·
Welcome to your new obsession! This is only my second season of flyfishing, but I know there's no turning back now. Wish I'd started years ago!

As for your questions, you'll definitely find plenty of recommendations for beginner's gear if you do a couple of searches. You'll also find lots of info about beginning fly tying if you decide to tie your own. (Might as well start now, you'll eventually do it anyway :devil: ) You may want to post your questions about Tampa on the "Bonefish, Tarpon and Other Obsessions" board since you may find more members who live and/or fish in that area on that board.

FWIW, I paid $89 for a 2 piece 9wt Temple Fork rod. I like it and it works well for me, but I haven't casted many other rods so I can't really make any comparisons. Even though that rod is priced at the low end of the scale, that doesn't leave much money for the reel and fly line. If you don't mind buying used gear then that might be the way to go.

Q

#7 ·
Quentin makes a very good point. The Temple Fork Rods are about as cheep as you can get and still have a GREAT rod. Many of us are swinging 5-6 hundred dollar rods and you are in a unique position to start out with a low dollar/great casting rod.
Point #1. being a beginner, you have not been cursed with the "spend all you can" sickness.
Point #2. Never having fished with a high end rod you won't know what your missing. (This is a GOOD thing!)
Temple Forks are the future, and I'm on a mission to rid myself of the sickness and pay what equipment is WORTH, not what someone says it 's worth!
Try it, you'll like it!;)
OH, ya! Welcome to the forum.

#10 ·
There is a guide named Capt. Tony Petrella who has made a few posts on this forum that is from the Tampa Area. Call him a say you found out about him on the forum I am sure he will help you out. I believe he is the local Temple Fork rep. also.

#11 ·
You might want to save just a little more $$$ and give the Orvis Roanoke Outlet a call at 1-540-344-4520 in Va.. Ask if they have an Orvis TLS two peice 9 weight that was returned in excellent condition for sale? They usually sell for 50 percent off the list price and still have the 25 year warranty. I have seen them in the racks at these outlets and they are great flyrods that even experienced anglers would love to have. Not beginners flyrods by any means! Plan on one costing about $160.00. If they don't have one I'm sure they would be happy to call Vermont to see if they have any and get back to you. Good luck with your new found hobby. Be prepared to lose some sleep over the excitement you'll have catching Red Drums on a fly!!!! Before long you'll be searching for Tarpon!

Phil

#12 ·
With all due respect to everyone's desire to help out a beginner, sending a newbie to e-bay & mail order is about the biggest dis-service you could do to both the individual and the sport. It is an almost guaranteed way to create a non-fly fisher.

You need to find a local shop that is willing to help out a kid getting started. It needs to be close enought to home that you can get a ride there when necessary.

IMO there are only two companies making good fly rods that will fit into this budget: Temple Forks Outfitters, & Redington. Both of these companies make high quality rods that cast well for under a hundred dollars. See if you can find a shop that sells these rods and will throw in some casting & rigging instruction.

Another good way to save money is at your local library. Two of my favorite books are, " Salt Water Fly Fishing," and, " Presenting The Fly," both by Lefty Kreh. If your local branch does not have these books, ask the librarian if they can get them for you.

I also think that you might be beter off with a 7 weight, or an 8 at the biggest, but definitely not a 9-weight. A 9 is a lot of rod for a 12-year old.

Ask your local shops if there are any fly fishing or tying clubs in your area. These types of organizations will be happy to help you get started. If you can't find one, e-mail me direct and I will ask my sources in Florida if they can help us find one.

Jay Horton

jhorton@haydenreels.com

#13 · (Edited)
Welcome Aboard and good luck with your newest interest.

Now, to add to what Jay said:

Are you involved with, or do you have connection to anyone involved with the Boy Scouts of America? - if so, the BSA has authorized qualification for the Flyfishing Merit Badge, issued a Merit Badge booklet to work from, and hopefully has at least one qualified merit badge counselor in your area. My idea in suggesting this avenue is strictly to point you toward help.

You do not need to be a member of a scout troop to go to the local council service center and buy the booklet. I'd imagine you don't need to be a troop member to even get in touch with the MB counselor as he or she was a fishing enthusiast before the badge existed, and would likely be willing to talk with you regardless of your connection with Scouting. The council service center should be able to tell you who is a counselor in your area and give you a contact phone number.

(BUT, don't be surprised if you're lobbied to join a troop. That wouldn't be the worst thing that happened to anybody :D )

You can also do a websearch for the Flyfishing Merit Badge - there's a ton of info right on the web.

Lastly, without reviewing what anyone else posted: find a fish & game or rod & gun club in your area that might lend you a little assistance.

If you run into resistance, get back to us and somehow, collectively, we'll figure out how else to help you.

RIGHT, BOYS ???? (and girls :smokin: )

[EDIT:] Here's the info on your local Scout Council:

CONTACT INFORMATION

Gulf Ridge Council, BSA
4410 Boy Scout Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
813-872-2691, FAX: 813-875-5890

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
I got my first flyrod and reel at about that same age. It was a k'mart 9' 6wt that came with backing and line already attached and a few flies. Everything I needed for a summer of sloshing around local ponds and duping panfish and small bass.

That was some time ago but I think the whole setup was about $30 and did me right for a couple of years till I got into trout fishing. Might not want to put a lot of money into something you're going to be holding with one hand while riding your bike into the woods :D

#15 ·
Sean,

You can't go wrong with Jay's advice. Dfix has a great idea also about the scouts.

I can't comment about "flies4sale" as I've never done business with them. Find out what you need for flies from a local fishing shop for "reds, snook, trout, jacks, ladyfish, and basically any drum" and tell me what they are and I'll try and tie some up for you. No Charge.

ssully

BTW my names Sean too! :)

#16 · (Edited)
Hey Sean !!!

Ssully's just trying to make ya think he's a nice guy by offering you those freebie flies - don't believe it !!!! :tsk_tsk: :smokin:

Sul - didn't we do something similar for another younger member - donated flies, etc. ???

(Sean - Sully's okay, just don't let on ! :rolleyes: :whoa: :chuckle: )

Sean: regarding the area/town of FL you live in - where ??? - I might not have given you the right council info, e.g., Tampa. Doesn't really matter - if you type in BSA and your town name, you'll probably find the correct council referenced somewhere in a hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.