Fly Fishing Forum banner

Well .. looks like it's time for a new set of boots.

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Cactus 
#1 · (Edited)
Second times the 'charm;' anothe heel off my chota boots. Glue job for the replacement heel is "questionable at best."

To the point: what's you're choice of boot and why? Should add the obvious: felt bottoms with studs.

#3 · (Edited)
Fred,

I can't say which are the best, but I have no qualms recommending Weinbrenner boots. Those are the only boots I have worn since I bought my first pair of good waders in 1986. While I am sure I don't fish as often as you or MJYP, I have only had two pair since that time.

They are a little stiff, so you may be able to find a better make for long hiking, but that said, I have had only positive experiences with them.

CK

#4 ·
I will second the Simms

Guide boots with felt and studs, i am on my second season with them now and they are holding up great. in the past i have used Danner's(3 pair in 8years) and Chota's(1 pair in1 year) and there are pros and cons for both but the Simms just feel comfortable and seem to wear well.i hope this helps.tight lines,brian :)

#5 ·
To expand the question a bit ... boot width.

The one thing I find/found far too often is wading boots are fairly narrow; stick on a second pair of socks and your foots 'jammed in' far too tight. Good way to get COLD FEET with winter fishing.

How are the above with a couple pair of heavy socks and neo-booties (I use breathables year round).

tnx
Fred

#6 ·
Hi Fred - I have the Simms without studs - have gone through two pair and in very cold water (read the foam floating on the river is freezing) I will put on a pair of light under sock and a heavy wool sock or equivalent and not had cold feet - the trick is to lace the boots loosly! This allows circulation. I am using Simms breathables. A great comfortable boot

G
#7 ·
Trick for tight boots, buy one size larger. I wear a 13 eee shoe, buy a 14 boot and use 2 layers of patagonia socks. Wear my gore-tex year round with 0 issues.

Buying aboot 1 size larger makes for a wider fit, everything is move up a bit.

#9 ·
I have had an extremely hard time finding boots that hold up.

My simms guide boots ( old leather style) were garbage and only lasted 2 years
I bought a pair of their freewstones at exactly the same time and though the see much less action are still going stron, just need new felts..

I currently have a pair of gary Borger ultimate boots, they have lasted 2 years and will probably make it through the winter but they are starting to fall apart.
I used to buy danners but they were garbage and fell apart in a year..

what i have concluded is that fake leather boots are better than real leather boots..

My next pair of boots will be patagonia beefy's frankly i don't think there are boots made that will last longer than 2 years, at least not the way i use them.

My suggestion Fred would be to go to a bunch of shops and buy based on whats comfortable to you and expect them to last a year or two at most...

#14 ·
Boots

I have had Chotas for three years and just replaced them with 2 pairs. one, a winter boot, the ll bean I forget the model all leather boot one size up, it's a taller boot for more ankle support and it has aquastealth/studded soles. I had problems walking in the snow, even with the chotas, the snow stuck to the felt creating "coke bottle" on the balls of my feet. The drawback is that they are twice as heavy as the chotas. The reason I replaced chotas was the slate on the Salmon RIver in new york would flatten those screws in four trips and the bean boot has tungstun carbide spikes. For the Summer I bought a pair of simms. Where the chotas felt like slippers, the simms feel like sneakers. Of course you are not going to find a boot better than the chotas in my opinion, I just wanted to try something different.

#16 ·
mjyp said:
I tried the Pats on before buying my Simms, they were way tighter than the Simms. Both boots were size 14, Fred try em on before you buy them just to make sure.

Roger that. My 'regular' shoe size is a 10-D but always buy at least one size larger. The 'winter' Chota's are actually a size 12 .. but we're back to the too narrow again. It's like they're longer, but marginally wider as the length increases.

But, you're right: try before you buy!
fae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.