Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Weeping Waders ...

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  talented_willie 
#1 ·
My old, and beloved, dan bailey breathable (non-goretex) waders have started to 'weep' water through the material. No holes, just weep water.

Have done a double wash in Woolite and squirted them with Revivex, but without much apparent results. Anyone had this problem ... and more to the point ... have a solution?

#4 ·
My Orvis Silver Labels were leaking in the crotch earliar this season. This was the fourth season so I figured with the pro-rated warrenty I'd be springing for the better part of the cost of a new pair. Pleasant surprise - Orvis has revised it's policy to 100% satisfaction. Got a new pair for the cost of shipping.

#8 ·
Cheaper in the long run?

We've always been told "buy the best we can afford" and "it will outlast the cheap stuff" Well I've got news for you. Simm's Guide waders now cost more than some really good Spey rods! And they are only warrantied for two years

I have a pair of Simm's that must be four or five years old. Sent them back ( the second time) for repairs. Simm's put new feet on them. retaped everything and sealed all the pinhole leaks. Cost? $75 No complaints here, except that I was without waders for awhile.

However, I have begun to question this philosophy.
First off, I am not a professional guide. I am not in my waders all day long seven days a week 250 days a year. Nor does Simm's (or anyone else) offer me a (guide) discount to be a walking advertisment for their product.
Secondly, advancements in wader technology have mede it possible to obtain better quality (than my five year old waders) at a much lower cost. Factor that in with inflation and maybe you're onto something.

Fred had already ordered a new pair of breathable waders the last time I saw him. Cost? less than $200 My advise was to see if Dan Bailey could fix his old waders. And then, maybe for a nominal fee, what would have gone in the trash can become his "back up" waders.

Meanwhile, he will soon have a new pair of waders which I will be comparing to my "old" Simm's :D

><///('>
JD

#9 ·
JD, there is no new tech that makes ANY non Gore wader better or even as good as your 5 year old Sims waders were. They have still not been surpassed. You can buy the same ones for less though, as Sims has lowered the price.
All waders wear out, but Sims last longer by far.

#10 ·
Eddie: I kind of question your comment about "all waders wear out" when I've had a new-ish pair of breathable waders leak on the third or fourth trip out. This is not "wearing out". This is a defect in the seam tape which connects the bootfoot to the wader. I feel it's about time all manufacturers made a pair of waders which DID NOT leak. In all fairness, with the price we fishermen pay for waders, isn't the most basic quality we look for in a wader is that it should be waterPROOF? Despite all the research, styling, and innovative qualities, it seems based on the questions and comments on all the fishing message forums that the one thing the flyfishing industry just cannot do is provide us with a pair of waders that don't leak! They all have a great warrantee. Unless we want to wear solid vinyl waders, we all are still finding leakage in our waders. So, we have no option but to take advantage of their warrantee and return them for a new pair of non leaking waders.

#11 ·
FS, I meant that waders that aren't junk to begin with will eventually wear out. Like a pair of boots, or gloves. They are expendible. Like a pair of boots or gloves, some last longer than others. This usually coencides with how much they cost in the first place. No one has made a pair of boots that will last forever.
Cheap wader are one of the worst "bargains" in the industry. If one is at all seriouse about staying dry and comfortable, a good pair of waders is esential.
Sims waders have proven themselves to be in a different class than all other waders. I have had a few pairs of waders that did not last a season. The 4 year pro rated warrenty was useless in the field.

#12 ·
FredA said:
My Orvis Silver Labels were leaking in the crotch earliar this season. This was the fourth season so I figured with the pro-rated warrenty I'd be springing for the better part of the cost of a new pair. Pleasant surprise - Orvis has revised it's policy to 100% satisfaction. Got a new pair for the cost of shipping.

Doesnt sound fair, does it? Get to use the waders for *4* years and then get a new pair for free :)

Ya know what??? I bet if you had asked, they would of sent you the pro guide 2's for the difference ($100?).

Now take ADG waders. If your $160 ADG waders spring a leak after 3 months, you get half your money back but they dont replace your waders.

#13 ·
Odd that this thread came back. As it turns out the replacement waders started leaking at/near the boot earlier this season. The replacements didn't seem to be as rugged as my originals, especially in the area of the boot attachment. As soon as the seasons over I'll be sending the back and looking to upgrad.

#14 ·
Pesky waders

I've owned Orvis waders for 6 years now. Under moderate use, I have had to return them on an average of once a year. The problem is always the same, a leak from the stocking foot - wader seam. The last time I paid the difference on an upgrade with the same results this season, a drench foot. The dealers I've return the waders to have never hesitated to provide a replacement pair, but I just wonder when they're going to end this policy. I guess in the cost / benefit it doesn't make sense to beef up those seams yet.

Has anyone had a bad experience return leaky waders to Orvis? Has anyone ever received some sort of explaintion as to why these seams break down so quickly? The bright side is that I have quite a collection of wading belts.

t-will

#15 ·
leaky waders

I have got so tired of leaky waders both simms and cheapies, sending them back and waiting for repairs or replacements that I just go on Ebay get a pair for $35 wear them for a year and get another pair. Latest pair is Cabelas Dry Plus. and I have a new pair of Hodgmans to back them up. Hodgmans are replacements for a pair that leaked.

Skilly

#16 ·
talented_willie said:
I've owned Orvis waders for 6 years now. Under moderate use, I have had to return them on an average of once a year. The problem is always the same, a leak from the stocking foot - wader seam. The last time I paid the difference on an upgrade with the same results this season, a drench foot. The dealers I've return the waders to have never hesitated to provide a replacement pair, but I just wonder when they're going to end this policy. I guess in the cost / benefit it doesn't make sense to beef up those seams yet.

Has anyone had a bad experience return leaky waders to Orvis? Has anyone ever received some sort of explaintion as to why these seams break down so quickly? The bright side is that I have quite a collection of wading belts.

t-will

Hey, are you using pro guide 2's? My silver label 2's only lasted 4 months, so now I am trying the pro guide 2's. They SEEM preety durable

#17 ·
Steve,

I had actually upgraded to the Silver Labels, which worked for about a half a year for me before they started to leak. After posting yesterday, I went to my local fly shop that sells Orvis merchandise to get a new pair, and I was surprised when the guy in the shop told me that they didn't carry the Silver Labels anymore because of recurring problems with leaks. In fact, he had me fill out an Orvis form to receive the original purchase price of the waders- in cash! He said it takes 3-6 weeks, but that they were pretty consistent in issuing the refunds (he had done the same thing with a faulty pair he had owned). Anticipating a $200.00 refund, I promptly bought a pair of Simms. I don't care how sturdy the Pro-Guides seem, I'm staying away from waders with the Orvis label on them for a while...

t_will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.