Fly Fishing Forum banner

STRIPING BASKET

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RayStachelek 
#1 ·
As this was my first venture into the area of building said basket I did search the posts and came to the conclusion that the rubbermade route was the way to go. I did see several coments about the Orvis offering with its contoured side which fits some of our corporate statures a little better.

SO
Taking heat gun [paint striper] in hand and a pair of oven mits I heated up the appropriate side and in 10 Min had a very well contoured basket. It dose not require very much heat to make this material very pliable and it retains the shape.

Now I only have to decide what to use for fingers.

#2 ·
The orvis bucket has a nice solution to the finger issue as well. There is a simple plastic insert that I picked up from Nauset Angler for under $10 that gives a rubbermaid bucket fingers, and for a quick fix it works pretty well. The only problem is that you need to use some serious adhesive, the two-way tape that comes free doesn't cut the mustard - but that was kind of obvious without even trying. A marine epoxy would probably be the ticket, or some plumber's goop. Aquaseal would make it permanent as well. Pretty cheap solution IMHO. Some places sell the standard rubbermaid dishpan for 2.99. I think I've got another 5 years left on mine. Straps with plastic snaps, cheapo - and the $8 or so dollar insert. Total ~$15 with insert.

I chose to contour my rubbermaid baskets by simply taking a razor knike and cutting off the formed lip-edge from one side. I sanded any sharpness down, and it naturally gives to the form of my increasingly vanishing washboard stomach. Actually, it's looking more like a wash tub stomach lately, only an outtie.

I also ran into a seamstress at the fabric shop who was buying a ton of those large thread spools with the core that is shaped like cone. I offered her a buck a pc for the cores when she is done with them. They were an ideal shape.

I also really like the Kennebec River mesh (yes mesh) for two-handed rods. You never really wade deep with the big rods and you can shoot a ton of line. The Kennebec River basket is huge.

Good luck with your SB adventures and keep us informed of your discoveries.

#3 ·
For cones in my rubber maid stripping basket, I bought a few cork perch floats (they were painted bright orange), these are the ones that are conical at both ends. I cut them in have, fastened them with ss screws and silicon sealer to the bottom. It works great.

Greg

#4 ·
I've been slowly moving to stripping baskets that are smaller in cross section but deeper- seems to work better for me. Picked up a plastic tub at AC Moore last year that's around 60% the size of my last tupperware version, but ~3" deeper. Worked great right away with 1/2 dozen weed whacker fingers around 2" long inserted from the bottom, and has continued to so so even after most of them fell out.

Latest purchase (untried as of yet) is the $2.99 hardware store version of the $$$$$ "Flyline Tamer" I saw in Marlboro- a small but deep curved basket with a long clip for hooking it onto your belt.

#5 ·
Has anyone tried the "Strip'n aid"? It's advertised in the latest saltwater FF mag (on page 67) from Lake Fork Enterprises.

If it works it would solve the travel problem - I've tried collapsible baskets before and they generally do just that when you least expect it. This device is basically a flat pad fitted with a set of cones. Looks like it would work in calm conditions but how about getting whacked about in the surf?

#8 ·
Ron and others -

Here is the information on the Anti-Tangle Stripping Basket Kit that Juro eluded too.

If you go to the Wilmington Show today, a kit can be bought for $20.00. $25.00 plus shipping if you order it by mail. The kit contains:

5 tall bullets, (2) fast snap belts in 1 1/2" and 1" wide, large enough for the widest of girths, and all the necessary nylon screws and nuts. The kit can be used over and over again if your plastic container fails. They guarantee all parts.

I've used them for four years without fail. Haven't seen a better system yet that surpasses their design as far as anti-tangle lines.

East Coast Fisherman....(914) 576-3733

#10 ·
juro (03-11-2001 06:13 a.m.):
Ron -

It would be my pleasure to pick one up for you to test out west. I'll grab one today, email me a snail mail address (I may already have it). We can square up later. I am anxious to hear the reviews...

Juro
Received East Coast fisherman Anti-tangle striping basket kit to-day. STOP - Will see if the Canadian Wooly Buge- can assemble correctly STOP Is the 2 1 2 configuration as sugested on the paper work the best configuration.
Too Much stop Got to go
saltRon

#11 ·
juro (03-11-2001 06:13 a.m.):
Ron -

It would be my pleasure to pick one up for you to test out west. I'll grab one today, email me a snail mail address (I may already have it). We can square up later. I am anxious to hear the reviews...

Juro
Juro ---- Have used the basket with your inserts that you sent to me on 4 occasions fishing off the beach and I would say that the ability to control line especially intermediate or full sinking types is amazing. It eliminates all the normal problems of controlling line on the pick up or retrieve and definetally will increase your abillity to shoot more line.
I can not see why this has not made its appearance even in a minimal way on the West Coast. It did bring a few comments about bringing my dishes to the beach but they will learn
The advantages far outway any of the incubered feelings associated with the initial use and I would think its advantages can be appreciated on the rivers as well.
Thank you again.
saltRon

PS-- You were going to get me the price range your are currently paying for the HATS as your $ gives you a 50% advantage up here.

#12 ·
>chuckle<

Ay-uh, the east coast's frugal yankee angler had to get over the dishpan hand comments a long time ago, I'd wager such comments lost their freshness even before most of today's rubbermaid warriors were even into SWFF in fact.

But here's the irony... you will find the oldest pictures of people wearing a dishpan on a belt....

in the pacific northwest! Look for old pictures of Lemire and Drain and Bradner and the old Western Washington steelhead icons and you'll see dishpans on their waists used for shooting head running lines back when the notion of flyfishing on the northeast coast were remote at best.

If I am not mistaken, the shooting basket came along with the shooting head systems from the rivers of the northwest to the east coast with the rise in popularity of flyfishing in the surf.

Now I am going on the oldest B&W photos I've seen and this is pure anecdotal conjecture - but I challenge anyone salty striper hound on the atlantic to dig up the origin and defy my books and records!

#13 ·
Ron

If you haven't yet made the basket here are a few tips.

If the bottom of your basket contains a small step off ridge (Not a perfectly flat bottom) make sure the base of each pylon is completely on a flat surface. Don't let the base of the pylon over hang any of the bottom surface. Fly line will sometimes get caught underneath during a cast. If this happen you can seal the edge with silicone or a quick fix of duck tape.

As far as symmetrical patterns, any will work as long as you spread them out and use all five of them.

Make at least four slot in the back of the basket and weave the belt through them. It will fit closer to your body and there will be less stress on each slot.

The anti-tangle inserts you have are the best inserts I have ever used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.