Fly Fishing Forum banner

Using Rio fly line vs. airflo fly line

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
I'm ne wto the sport of saltwater fly fishing and am in the process of purchasing my gear. I have a 9wt. templefork fly rod(Ticr series), and a lamson velocity 4 reel. I am debating whether to buy airflo's cold intermediate WF line or Rio WF intermediate. I would appreciate any suggestions and to know if anyone prefers one over the other. Thank you

#2 ·
The first line I would buy would be a floating line. Airflo has proven cold water performance. Rio has the clouser head in their cold water product line. Seems to me its six of one half dozen of the other.

#3 ·
With all due respect JF, you`ve been hanging round Kenny to much. The first line should most definetly be a Intermediate. It will cover all the situations. I haven`t owned an Airflo or a Rio so I can`t say much about them, I`m partial to Wulff Triangle Tapers, and have them on all my reels except for one 555 Int.
Slinger

#4 ·
Airflow

I have a Airflow intermediate (cold water version) and it is the best cold water line I have used to date. It does get a little sticky on the hot summer days and I then switch to the SA lines. Just picked up a Cortland 444 Striper line and a Wolf today for testing this season.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.