Fly Fishing Forum banner

Milestone Missed...

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Mike Oliver 
#1 ·
I noticed a day or two ago that the venerable Mr. Simms had reached a milestone birthday he'd probably prefer to not be reminded of. Meant to post if nobody else picked up on it but got distracted by other things. Anyhow, a belated happy birthday Jim. Wish I could have fished with you a bit more, maybe in September.

Have fun bouncing around those Adriatic Islands.

#5 ·
FredA said:
I noticed a day or two ago that the venerable Mr. Simms had reached a milestone birthday he'd probably prefer to not be reminded of. Meant to post if nobody else picked up on it but got distracted by other things. Anyhow, a belated happy birthday Jim. Wish I could have fished with you a bit more, maybe in September.

Have fun bouncing around those Adriatic Islands.
Jimbo- add my congrats to the pile on surviving another year- may the fishing gods continue to smile on you!

Adrian- I'm impressed- didn't realize they'd named a whole group of islands after you:lildevl:

#7 ·
Happy Birthday Jim!!! You only have 4 years on me. I would like to see someone of comperable age fish 7 days a week for 6 straight weeks like you do and still be alive. Age is irrelevant if one can do what you do...of course...maybe each day you forget that you went fishing and that explains why you go every day. :hihi:
Best wishes Jim and many many more!
Ron

#8 ·
flydoc said:
Jimbo- add my congrats to the pile on surviving another year- may the fishing gods continue to smile on you!

Adrian- I'm impressed- didn't realize they'd named a whole group of islands after you:lildevl:
Happy Birthday Jim - did I miss you competely this year?

God, it seems like only yesterday we were sneezing from the mold in the rental cottage :lildevl: If you're done for now, I really hope we can catch up in September - I still recall the bluefin and quahog night with fond memories :) Love to Pam too!!!

Flydoc, not only Islands! Don't forget the wall that the Romans built to keep the raping and pillaging Picts from trashing their arboretums. I was constantly reminded of my Roman namesake's achievements throughout my school days - as in "Hey-drian, how's your wall?". But it's still better than "Yo Adrian!":razz:

#9 ·
Yup, hit the big 70. Been fishing hard with a couple of epic days, but it's been slow slogging on a lot of fish less channels/flats. Talking to a few guide friends, reinforces my view that the bass population is down - how much, no clue. Boat guys are slammin them with bait off shore. Don't know if off shore bass schools are the last refuge in a declining population, or they are there as a result of a lack of quantity bait inshore. This year I've kinda decided that we'll eat cod instead of the one or two stripers I typically keep each year.

#10 ·
Yup, hit the big 70. Been fishing hard with a couple of epic days, but it's been slow slogging on a lot of fish less channels/flats. Talking to a few guide friends, reinforces my view that the bass population is down - how much, no clue. Boat guys are slammin them with bait off shore. Don't know if off shore bass schools are the last refuge in a declining population, or they are there as a result of a lack of quantity bait inshore. This year I've kinda decided that we'll eat cod instead of the one or two stripers I typically keep each year.

Off to a bareboat sailing adventure next week to Croatia, and will have a fly rod in tow. If rumor proves correct small BFT are there, but I think The Adriatic Sea is like the Med, raped and pillaged.

#13 ·
A brief follow up on my earlier post.

I was lucky enough to meet the entire Simms clan as they prepared to depart Chatham. It had a "Game of Thrones" feel to it :chuckle:

Bon voyage Jim & Pam :smokin:

#14 ·
I was lucky enough to meet the entire Simms clan as they prepared to depart Chatham. It had a "Game of Thrones" feel to it Geez, I hope Jim doesn't loose his head.:wink:

Pardon me while I go rip some lip. I'm late as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.