Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bluefin in New England

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  josko 
#1 ·
FWIW, right now the chance oif catching a 100+ lb bluefin on a fly rod off Provincetown, MA, is higher than it's been in years. I'd say it's almost a given if you put a couple of days into it and match up with a guide who does these sorts of trips.
I'm not trying to plug guides, but fish really have shown up in unprecedented numbers this year. I'd be glad to answer any related questions.

#2 ·
Now that is a great post! Thanks josko. :) Informative and segways into a great discussion.

It does seem the fish are showing earlier and staying around in CC Bay.
What do you (or others) hear about tuna in other "traditional" early season locations. I have wondered if the CC bay, Chatham fishery has spiked because of changes in water temps and changes in bait concentration.
Hope this discussion takes off!

btw:
Sooooo .... is the boat back in the water? mine is still under canvas in the yard.:Eyecrazy:

#5 ·
Last season I watched a small pod of giants just terrify a school bluefish not more then a few hundred yards from the mouth of the canal.
O for two trips this season, had some shots with ( PLUGS) but no takers.
Maybe tomorrow?:wink:

#8 ·
I've never seen a school of bluefin in the canal but I have seen two solitary giants. One was at the scusset fish pier, I had taken the kids for a bike ride and there were a ton of people on the pier. I took the kids over to check it out figuring someone probably caught a big fish but was told there was a huge fish swimming near the pilings. We hung around for ~5 minutes and a fish the size of a volkswagon rocketed past. I'd seen tuna come in on the back of the sport fishers but never saw one in the water like that, unreal. Another less spectacular sighting was while plugging the canal, one breached. You bet I cast at it...:lildevl: more like at where it had been.

#9 ·
Scouting trip!

I'd love to get out there, in fact I had been planning on it for Thursday (weather permitting) instead I've got a visit with the doc for some tendon problems in my leg. I'm now hoping for some bass fishing before the doldrums.

I read Albiemike's report and without getting into specific locations he stated that at times the fish were too close to his boat to get a shot, he was using spin gear. Those close shots would be perfect for the fly where you can put it in front of them 3 times to one spin cast. I don't have the heavy gear needed - the fish seem to be in the 70+ range.

Go get 'em.

#10 ·
Suggestions for gear?

I was looking at getting a TFO Bluewater HD...I have an older Bauer M7 spooled up with braid and a line. I'm interested in getting a (small) one from the kayak and was figuring either Newport area or in Vineyard Sound later in the summer would be the ticket.

Seem like the right rod? I already have a 12 wt, should I use that it targetting smaller fish? Anyone done this from the kayak? How about landing these?

Thanks,

mark

#11 ·
You might want to check out the regs on nmfs.org. I think the issue is being able to get a permit for an unregistered vessel. I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails but given the speed an power of these fish hooking anything over 30lbs in a yak could be outright dangerous. On the flip side (no pun intended) you might not need as much backing as the yak will likely move with the fish.

#12 ·
Long Odds

As Jim mentioned the first step would be to get your kayak registered. That is the only way to get a permit as the paper is for the vessel not the person. A few guys over on RT have done the legal work to get their boats registered and I think a few have taken skipjack from their yaks (a great accomplishment). Bluefin in my opinion would be tough. I think your best bet would be to hope the little guys come inshore like they did a few years ago. I think a fish in the 30" range is doable on a 10wt (your 12wt would definitely be fine) and from the yak if you can get on them. Anything that requires the lifting power of the TFO Bluewater HD is crazy to think about in a yak in my opinion. Maybe take the $250 for the BW HD and split a guide for a day to get a sense for fighting these fish from a stable platform first. I assume you have done albies from the yak already?

Sean

#13 ·
Some years back we held a fly swap: each fly had to have caught a New England bluefin. There were some great and simple ties. Jay Horton photographed trhem all. Maybe we can get Jay to post them on this thread.

Results of that swap pretty much define my current offfshore flybox.

#14 ·
thanks for the tips guys....Have caught lots of fish from the kayak....stripers, bluefish, albies, bonito up here and variety of other fish in other places.....

Have also caught bigger fish...tarpon, tuna, sharks....from boats....just wondering about the two together...I know the conventional guys land some pretty big fish from the kayaks....LARGE sharks, sailfish, roosterfish....so figured there's a shot.

Agreed that lifting is an issue, and it's hard enough to land a big striper on your own while seated, so I'm not yet sure how to handle something even bigger without breaking a rod or tipping...certainly thinking of the smaller guys if there's a chance....

Maybe I'll stick with the 12-wt for now, target the "little" guys and see how that works out....

#15 ·
Let's go!

Was there 6/14-6/21 and the last day we fished (6/19) we were off P'town and had shots on some "pushing tuna " w/no luck. Had planned to go over today through Wednesday but we decided not to due to the marine forecast for T/W (2-4'--3-5'; fog in the AM) on the bank.

For the first time left my boat in the Cape (cheaper than towing back and forth) and will be heading back either the week of 21st or the 28th--or both. We usually do a three day type thing--arrive by 8am, fish that day, the next day and then fish half day the third day and drive home. If anyone wants to buddy up let me know and we can get together/keep in touch. With any luck the SBFT's will arrive by then--temp's are looking good.

Monitor 68 and hail is Sea'duced. Cell is 518-821-6156. My email is bbower@surferz.net and please put tuna in the subject line (been getting spammed alot lately). Usually launch out of Barnstable and make the ride to the SWC as I like to ck lower/mid CCB--especially the FL where we've had luck before. But, might launch out of Pamet if there are better reports farther north.

Hey, tight lines to all, hope you all had a great 4th/holiday(!) and if you're heading over let me know the dates and keep in touch.

Brian Bower

#16 ·
There was a spectacular bluefin bite near the 31 ftm hole today. I wasn't there, but had some results for dinner. I'd suggest you try to hook up with some folks who are up to date on the local tuna bite before getting on the water.
I'll be offshore on the water wed (wind permitting) Thursday, and Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.