Fly Fishing Forum banner

Albies? Bonito? No wait...those look like...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  reely 
#1 ·
..Bluefin!!

Stopped for lunch today on the RI coast on the way back from Connecticut this afternoon and happened to see a bunch of fish busting offshore. Launch the yak, paddle like mad as I figure its going to be good old August Albies or Bones. As I neared closer to the mayhem, I realized that these were either some of the biggest Tunoids or I'd happened upon the real deal. I was within 20 feet of FLYING tuna and couldn't come tight. It was something else to be this close to 25-30lb BFT's feeding like maniacs.

Nope my yak's not officially registered for the NMFS, but I just couldn't stop my right arm from twitching the fly out there...

Nick

#2 ·
Wow Nick,

That must have been a rush to get that close in a kayak to those speedsters. Too bad you couldn't get hooked up. Tough to cast and paddle like hell at the same time. I was thinking it was tuna time any day now..

Did you see much bait offshore?

Cheers,
Greg.

#3 ·
I really didn't see what they were feeding on, but at the ramp I saw a TON of silverside looking bait. Not sure exactly what they were...I'm not very good at bait id in the Slim Skinny category.

Trying to keep up with them was tough. I had one really good shot when they stayed up for a few minutes, but then it was off to the races, they were heading offshore and the fog was building, so I eventually turned back.

#4 · (Edited)
I't was great you had the Kayak ready to go when you came accross those feeding fish. It certainly seems to tough get a shot at small bluefin anytime. Wish you could have connected, everything has to go just right when you have such a limited amout of time to get you fly out to them and not scare them off in the process. Maybe next time. If you feel like trying to intercept some more passing thru tuesday I might scoot out of work early to fish.

It would be great to get out .

Cheers,
Greg,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.