Fly Fishing Forum banner

What a weak

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jimmy 
#1 ·
I had a brand new Reddington 7/8 AL reel sitting around the house. It was lonely, so I went out and found it a nice little Temple Fork 8wt rod to keep it company. I took both out for a test drive today. I was picking up alot of small stripers in the rip. On one drift, I felt a smalll tap on the line. I did the old strip strike thing, and hooked into something more substantial. It turned out to be a very nice 7lb weakfish. Please don't ask me to spell or pronounce the Native American name. :hehe: I picked up 3 more weaks between 3 and 5 lbs.
It's been quite a few years between these fish I caught today, and the last weakfish I landed. There have been reports of people landing weaks in other areas of Long Island Sound. These are the first ones I've seen in years. Plus I've never seen them in the area I was fishing today. Could be a good sign.
I also remembered how good they taste. But, being a strictly C&R fisherman, I released all of them.:) Then I went home and had lunch.

#8 ·
Jimmy -

Consider yourself part of a small percentage of people who have had the luck of squeteague on a fly! I've heard a number of reports lately, might be a good year for them. Hope so, I would love to see a strong showing like some of the years I remember long ago when they were all over the south side, canal, etc.

Nice touch letting them go, they're among the best eating out there in my book but I can wait to start filleting them until they are established in the area again no matter how long that may take.

See ya soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.