Fly Fishing Forum banner

Do you fish out of your yak?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I am not sure about fishing out of my yak. Seems as if it would be difficult to land the fish and secure the rod without breaking it. Also, is a longer rod better for casting from a yak? Look forward to your comments.
FishHawk

#2 ·
FishHawk

Fishing out of yaks seems to have spawned an entire industry and some guys out west do some pretty crazy things. There seems to be a strong contingent down in the Chesapeake bay area where they get into some seriously big stripers.

For me at least, my goal remains access to cool fishing spots, not being regulated by ferry schedules and getting a bit of a work-out. But who knows? If I was paddling across to Monomoy one day and fish started busting all around me I might be tempted to have a cast or two :)

I mentioned the possible advantages of a longer rod on another board but got blasted :rolleyes:

I guess I'd better not get caught out there with my 10ft 7 wt ;)

#3 ·
Personally, it's not for me.

I don't see anything wrong with fishing from your yak as long as you know your abilities and don't put yourself or anyone else in danger. By that I mean getting pulled into docks, moorings, channels or getting dumped in an area of high boat traffic.

I'm afraid with the increase in recreational kayak activity we are going to start hearing about people being hurt. People who don't pay attention to what is going on around them or fail to use common sense. (Something I am guilty of ocassionally)

Adrian, I use a 9' #4 to fish from my yak for trout & bass. I'd love someone to blast me for that. They obviously have never fished from a float tube!! As far as bigger fish go, what's the danger? Snapping your rod? If you can't land a fish without releasing line to ease the pressure on the tip of your fly rod, you probably shouldn't be fly rodding from a yak, or a boat, or the beach... ;)

I'd love to try casting that 10 footer from a yak!

Can't wait to watch you blow by me on the water in that drag racing tarpon of yours!!

Roop

#6 ·
I fish from my yak. Mine is a sit on top, Prism. I have it rigged with a live well, anchor system and rod holder. I mainly paddle out to the flats to fish. I don't have to worry about traffic or being pulled into mangroves or docks. It's a great way to sneak up on redfish on the flats.
And there's nothing more fun that taking it down to the Florida Keys and paddling over the clear water flats.

Angie
www.ExumaBonefish.com

#9 ·
Thanks for the link... makes me wish I was back there again. Last time I was there I landed a nice bone on the flats looking east south of the campsites and some very large tarpon started busting on the pilchards. I looked at my 8wt and it was as if the rod said to me "don't even go there". I enjoyed the view but did not cast. Besides I had a little bonefish fly on.

Met the Danners of Danner Boot Co, nice couple. I told them I loved their boots. They are still working great to this day over 10 years old.

Wonderfully narcotic place - mangroves, flats, turtle grass lined channels and all kinds of fish. Sharks on the north point, I didn't cast to them either. Big cuda hanging in the deep trenches, I did cast to them. :eyecrazy:

>snap< back to reality!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.