Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dyna-King Questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dmas 
#1 ·
I have a Barracuda which I love except for one issue. There is a certain size hook that I have problems fitting into either groove on the jaw. Specifically, I have had problems with an Alec Jackson Spey #7. Normally I can get it to fit in the smaller groove after several attemps however it is often after I have broken one or two hooks....not what you want to do with an AJ if you know what I mean. Am I missing something and has any one else had this problem? My old vise was the D-K professional and I never ever had this problem on that vise and I have not run into this problem with any other hook on the Barracuda.

Also...I fish more and more tubes these days so I am going to break down and by a dedicated tube vise. Thinking of the Dyna-King but I haven't heard much feedback regarding it. Has anyone had any experience with it? I am thinking maybe I can have my flyshop order only the head to the vise and I can use it on my Barracuda base. From the pictures I have seen it looks like that should work. Also, the HMH tube vise seems to get good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with that one? Thanks!

Tight Lines

#2 ·
DK Baracuda + HMH Tube Kit = Nice Compromise/Happy Camper

I've got a DK Baracuda...and not more than an hour ago I finished tying a large herring tube fly using the HMH tube fly conversion kit (which is well made and comes with several size mandrels)...
HMH markets on line and via an 800#...tube kits, whatever...
I've had this set up for 7+ years and have NO complaints...
Last winter, after running out of tubes, I went to a local auto parts shop and picked up some high pressure air shock hose that works just fine with the large mandrel...cut to size with razor blade...(scissors seem to bend/warp the tube)...
The softer junction tube came from HMH (bought 5' years ago...) and I use a dab of super glue to hold it fast along with a few wraps of thread...sofarsogood!
IMHO...

#4 ·
I've had the Baracuda vise for either 7 or 8 years and have tied well over 100,000 flies on it, and IMHO, it is one of the best (if not the best) vises on the market. I've never had a problem with putting any hook in the jaws, and I tie quite a few flies on the #7 Alec Jackson Spey Hook. therefore, I can't relate to the problem you mentioned you are having in mountng this particular size of this hook model in the vise jaws. The problem you are experiencing might be related to the angle you use when you first bring the hook into the vise jaws before you clamp the hook. A little experimenting with this might provide the solution to what you are experiencing.

I second the recommendation for the HMH tube conversion adapter. Very well made, reasonably priced, and it works. Why spend money needlessly for a new vise when the inexpensive HMH tube tool works just as well.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I currently use the HMH tube adapter. Seems to work OK but sometimes I run into problems with my brass tubes spinning in the mandrel when I am tying. I tend to tie my tube flies "in the round" and I do not use a junction tube. From an astetic standpoint I don't like a junction tube on the fly and it doesn't seem to affect the way that the fly fishes. Anyway since I normally tie material on the entire length of the tube I don't lock the actual tube into the adapter but rather I just lock the mandrel in and sometimes I experience the spinning problem. Maybe I'l just experiment with different types of mandrels before I go out and get a dedicated vise. Thanks for the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.