Fly Fishing Forum banner

BC License Fees increase

5K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 · (Edited)
I opened my copy of the new BC regulations synopsis for the coming year of April 2003 to March 2004 and we have increased our license fees somewhat significantly. It's not going to hit the residents of BC as hard, but you guys south of the border just be forewarned if you wish to embark on that Steelhead trip of a lifetime on our northern, interior, or coastal drainages that have classified waters on them and you're on a slight budget.

For example, (CDN funds of course) "Non-resident Alien"
Annual Angling license - $80
or
8 day angling license - $50

You also must have a Steelhead stamp - $60 (you can only puchase one stamp regardless of the type of license you purchase.)

Also, on top of the stamp and the basic license, you must also pay a classified waters fee which has been essentially doubled per day.

Class 1 Waters $40/day (examples: Upper Dean, Babine, Sustut, Gitnadoix, Upper Copper (Zymoetz) )

Class 2 Waters $20/day (examples: Lower Dean, Bulkley, Morice, Skeena proper, Suskwa (Bear), Kalum, Lakelse, Lower Copper (Zymoetz), Kispiox, A variety of other Skeena, Nass, and other tributaries, Thompson)

So pretending I wanted to do a week trip on the Bulkley
8 day license - $50
Steelhead stamp $60
7 x $20/day - $140

Total - $250 in licenses, CDN funds.

When you factor in the quality of fishing and compare it to other destination accross the world, in my opinion it works out to d*ck all! but it is more than last year. When you factor in exchange rate with our weak CDN dollar, it works out to about $10 total.

A comparable trip for a resident of BC
8 day license - $20
Steelhead stamp $25
Classified waters license, purchased on annual basis - $15

Total - $60

You still can do a trip up north for dirt cheap if you know what you're doing, where to stay, or if you have a 5th wheel or RV. We sure are lucky to live where we live.

See less See more
#28 ·
I hear a lot of complaining from some locals as well as residents about crowding on some of our (BC's) prized trophy classified Steelhead rivers from people "south of the border." One of the remedies often said is to jack up license fees for non residents and non resident aliens. I feel there is a fine line there. How much is too much to disuade people from coming up, but still benefit the revenue from some license sales?

I personally feel that if I liked fishing somewhere enough that I would make job/personal/logistical changes to make accessing that fishery or various fisheries easier. I would of course have to feel very strongly about a general area's fishery, and the non-resident or non-resident license fees and other associated out of town/province/state/country fees and logistics would have to be substantial enough that the advantages by becoming a resident would far outweigh the disadvantages. And well, having a job is on the list too! I don't think I have to deal with this though. BC has so many and such a diverse wealth of fisheries and fishing oppurtunities for so many different species that I don't anticipate this in my lifetime. Well, unless of course I started to like fishing for marlin. Wait a second, we have marlin too. Freshwater marlin: The White Sturgeon of the Fraser River!

My question to you guys south of the border is now that the license fees have gone up a bit, as per my example, has this influenced AT ALLl any consideration you give to future trips up north? Has anyone here ever moved somewhere because the fishing was that good? (Say from somewhere to the PNW?)

#32 ·
Scott,the only differences you might see(if any at all) with an increase in liscence fees,will be on the lower mainland rivers.Guys who come up to the Vedder to fish each weekend "might" not come up as often if it is costing them more to do it.There could also be a drop in pressure on the Kootenay streams close to the boarder that now see alot of non resident pressure,but this would be a welcomed drop IMHO.

There is NO WAY that ANY increase in liscence fee,even an EXTREMELY HIGH increase,would EVER discourage the number of non resident anglers from heading to the Skeena or Dean.Even if it cost 10 times what it does now,there would still be loads of people headed there because it is a one of a kind fishery.There is nowhere else in the world like it and even if the only people who could afford to fish there were the rich,you would still see the same number of people booked into the lodges and hiring guides.

Personally,I think a few less people on the Vedder or south east Kootenay streams would be a good thing,not bad.These places are already overcrowded and definately don't need any more pressure than they already get.

Promoting tourism is great,but eventually you need to draw a line in order to limit the amount of pressure a place gets.Increased fees would sort out the serious fishermen from the people who go out on the odd long weekend and are more interested in drinking beer while they try to fill thier freezer with meat.

Those of us who value our fisheries,both resident and non resident,won't mind paying more as long as the money is going where it should.

#33 ·
My god, MJYP, your right if I ever leave the GLs to chase PNW steelhead I will have to bring at least a case of Old Milwaukee beer me since I am sure I will not be able to find outside the GLs.

Thats my lucky steelheading beer, can't leave home without it.

Thanks for reminding me of that key fact.

LOL

PM Out

#35 ·
BobK

No, I also always have my 17 year old Courvesier in my steelhead flask. I am saving it for the day I land a big (15-20 LB) steelhead.

It would take quite a hardy steelheader to drink from this flask, don't know if I have the guts myself to do it, since I have not drank from it in around 10 years now.

Should I throw it out and get some new spirits ? It may change my luck. For sure it could not be my steelheading skills !!

Actually, I don't want to catch a big one, I always want to pursue steelhead and catching a big one may cause me to slow down fishing for them, you know what I mean.

PM Out

#37 ·
A good lesson -

I knew it! That is why my excuse to the wife is,"Of course I drank it up. I was afraid it would spoil."

See, Hal - serves you right! You've got to loosen up and celebrate a little during your piscaorial pursuits. Not doing so just wastes good booze!:hehe:

BobK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.