Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Platte

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I have been reading on the board questions about why fish out here seem to feed more during the winter than back east. I do not know the answer but here is something to chew on. Fished Cheesman canyon from about 1 to 4 yesterday. The Gill trail was very icy and i was glad to have hiking boots. The water was low and the sun was shining temp around 50. I found a pool with fish sipping midges and got no takers on my 22 gnat. Switched to a size 18 orange scud with a 24 olive RS2 and within 5 casts had a fat 18 inch rainbow on. Landed that fish more by luck than skill when some bozo entered the head of the pool i was fishing. That put the fish right down. I moved downstream to the icebox and found the sipping fish again. No takers on gnats with 5X tippit but on switching to 7X i began to hook up. I got my hand into the mouth of a big brown and managed to cut my thumb and finger. Once the sun got off the water the temp fell and i headed to the car for a celebratory beer. Nice end to a great thanksgiving holiday.

#2 ·
Sounds like a great end to the thanksgiving holiday. I spend most of my time on Cape Cod saltwater fly fishing and sometimes at the local Cape ponds for small stocked trout... Someday I will get out there and try my hand at those skills. Great report.

#3 ·
Brad,

I used to fish the South Platte and a little east of there at Eleven Mile Canyon. Do those waters still hold native 'bows. You've got me drooling just thinking back to those deep emerald green pools. Great report.... I also remember the crowds. Hope your interloper tripped and filled his waders

So I still wonder why CO trout fight harder than NE trout....

#4 ·
Brad it's great to hear of your success on the South Platte over the holiday weekend. We had a bitter cold snap over the holiday that broke with some rain yesterday. As I made my way back to the grind this morning the temps were pleasant and definitely fishable. In fact the weather reminded me of a typical winter day in the pacific northwest from my days out there.

GregD has told me of the great winter fishing out in your area - he lived in Denver for a large part of his adult life and now is a fellow striper hound here in the northeast.

Hope we can sample each other's home waters someday!

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.