Fly Fishing Forum banner

No FF Content: Musicians Out There? Vocation or Avocation

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering how many of us take solace in making music. I know Juro twangs away on something, and I beat the hell out of an old reed organ I have here (learning a bunch of Couperin and Daquin stuff), plus tootle away on a recorder to the great consternation of various accomodating consorts. Methinks flyfishing and making music are a common thread and just wanted to find out if this were so.

If you enjoy playing an instrument or singing, I'd like to hear about it, if only to support my theory.

Please chime in and we'll note it.

I promise not to initiate another thread on whether fly anglers are inveterate punsters.

Cheers,

B Flat in Waldport

#2 ·
I agree Eric - flyfishing goes well with music for sure. There is always a guitar or two in play at any good sized gathering whether it be Paul Miller at GGACC or us plucking away at Boneclave where my accoustic guitar was passed around like well no need for profanity here, but many clavers squeezed a tune out of her and many left the campsite with the conviction to learn something to play at the next Boneclave.

Then there are the bagpipes that have been a recurring theme at Spey events, and there's something I always liked about a lonely harmonica at a campfire by the stream at night.

I think it's got something to do with the anticipation of the next day's fishing combined with the heart's susceptibility to anything evoking any emotion when away from sweethearts and adoring families. Something about some tunes during the off hours that just kind of fits, and I guess the 'spirits' help a little too.

BigDave is quite a guitar enthusiast, in fact his playing and the reunions of my old teenager buddies' bands has motivated me to get back into it. Glad they did. Adrian has clearly studied guitar playing as I witnessed recently at our Chatham hangout, he even plays multiple strings without a pick! :biggrin:

#3 ·
Eric,

Not only did I make my through solely playing music from January 1976-August 1978, I have a BS in Music Ed from Penn State '75. However, I got very tired of not having a dating life because the women would get angry after about a month of me not being able to go out any night but Monday because I was playing a gig somewhere, so I quit playing and sold my bass, amp, and mic.

I sold my stuff because I know if I get another bass, I will not be satisfied just playing for fun or the occassional weekend gig, I will want to go at it full-time again and that wouldn't be fair to my wife and kids.

#4 ·
I do my practicing after family time has ended - sometimes into the wee hours unfortunately. This is somewhat limiting, but I don't compromise work, family time or even my work out schedule for it.

I picked up a neat PC studio for guitar by Native Instruments called "guitar rig II" on eBay and it let's me record multi-track to MP3, burn to CD, etc. So I can listen to stuff I played while driving to work the next day and try to pick out things to improve.

What I noticed the other day was that the timestamps on most of these files is between 2-3am! :D

Obviously I can't do that every night. It doesn't amount to a whole heck of a lot of playing time but I should be able to pick up a song or two between claves and I hope others do the same so we can enjoy this element of the outdoor experience.

Maybe we can get a Forum benefit CD for sale. Might be fun.

STEP FORWARD ALL YOU CLOSET MUSICIANS!!! :lildevl:

#5 ·
juro said:
I picked up a neat PC studio for guitar by Native Instruments called "guitar rig II" on eBay and it let's me record multi-track to MP3, burn to CD, etc.
Juro-

My brother (a self-taught electric guitar player) has the same toy and loves it for the same reasons.

I don't have anything to contriubute musically to a CD....I'd have trouble playing the triangle. :roll: But I do have about ten years of DJ/production experience, so I can always lend a hand there. And I've always wanted a real life opportunity to say.....

"The prescription is more cow bell!!!" :lildevl:

#6 ·
Practice Time Practice Time:

I'm a lousy musician, not even worthy of disrepect. Can't keep time. Make mistakes. The orginal frog in a blender. Nevertheless: one hour per day on the harmonium. one hour a day on the tenor recorder. My wife is an opera singer. I wait until she's either sound asleep or out of the house.

It's in the blood, even if it's not in the genes.

cheers,

Atonal in Waldport

#7 ·
Sadly it's very much a case of the spirit being willing but the flesh being weak at the moment Last year I went out and made an extravagant "investment" in a new accoustic that isn't getting nearly enough attention.

#9 ·
Eric,

I'm like you, I just can't keep time and as much as I love music I can't tell the difference from one note to another. My wife is a well known mbira player and she has got me playing around with it. It is such a strange and haunting sound. An instrument to bring back the dead. Every three months we have 20 or 30 folks come from around the world, many from Africa to play the mbira. On the last night they jam till the sun comes up and some pretty strange stuff starts moving around this old house.

#13 ·
Songs are a lot like fly patterns... they allow you to be expressive, and although they are typically extensions and interpretations of existing patterns they give you an outlet for your own personal touch.

This is one that kind of reminds me of heading out at first light...

Another one to get the cats in the neighborhood goin'
About 650k, not recommended for dial-up users (this one skips the first time downloaded too :confused:

#16 ·
Steve -

I could not get the links to play (links to amazon.com?) clue me in :)

Eric -

It was three layers, chord/note picks, bass line and some fumble fingered lead. The background was in loop mode and I didn't bother to fine tune it to get rid of the slight delay.

The other was one track except for a the last measure.

I have some software called "Cakewalk" that works with an analog->digital signal converter (Mobile/Pre USB). You can select a track, record, and add parallel tracks with the click of a mouse. A nice feature is looping, which lets you put down a rhythm and let it play back in a loop while you play more.

It also lets you write to MP3 which is a commonly availble format for players on the web.

#17 ·
Reluctantly stepping forward...

I used to play a meriad of instruments, but now I occassionally play the harmonica. But more often than not I can be found singing Barbershop with either my quartet or with the windows rolled up in my Truck. It may not be a camp site favorite, but Coney Island Baby plays in my head when I'm squinting my eyes into the flats waiting for the cows to arrive.

-Chris

#18 ·
Hey SSPey,

Pretty exotic stuff. Too bad we couldn't have a belly dancer to go along with the tunes.

Juro -- I donno. I just clicked on the link with Firefox and QuickTime came up and played the tunes.

Can't wait for the _Fly Fishing Five_ to release their first CD.

Cheers,

Eric

#19 ·
we never had a dancer, but we did have smoke, bubbles, bizzarre film loops, and a few other odd things thrown in here and there (silly string?) for each performance. just stupid stuff to keep it fresh.

by the way, I do think we were discussing music on Thurs when interrupted, but never got back to it... :cool:

#21 ·
Hey Dave -

I owe you for the inspiration to get back into it.

The effect is a modeled leslie care of the modeling software on Guitar Rig II. I'm getting so many sounds out of the software that I am considering a serious monitor system instead of an amp. However the old deluxe may win out in the end :)

Some of the effects introduce a small amount of latency which can be eliminated with more expensive interfaces (analog->digital).

Other than than it's a great way to multi-track record lots of different effects directly to mp3.

#22 ·
OK here's one from the dark side... no not a song about bait ;) but a flashback from a classic on this blizzard day in new england. Not perfect as these old fingers tend to fumble but see if anyone recognizes it... forgive the injustice.

Does it resemble the orig?

Gotta go I think my tie-dye is ready. I've got several complaints from cat owners already :hihi:

#25 ·
Sorry to hear the pinball wizard has lost the plot!

I had many very enjoyable days fishing on his spread down in W. Sussex. The lakes had a great mayfly hatch in early June.

#26 ·
WOW

And I thought your handle referred to the finned variety of "bass" :)

It will be a good 5 years before I post any more of my crappy samples after seeing that impressive show of musical talent!

Nice long music cast too - thanks I've got it bookmarked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.