Fly Fishing Forum banner

tips or tricks in tying and rigging tube flies

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ghillie 
#1 ·
so,you all convienced me to go tubin.is there any tips or tricks in tying or rigging any of you would like to share???

#2 ·
Don't know if it's a "trick" but if you

don't have the 'tube vise' attachment for your regular vise use long finishing nails. I did this for quite awhile before I popped for the the 'real one' with the assorted sized mandrels. Worked rather well; not as good as the 'clamp vise' but well enough.
fe

#3 ·
I use common "Allen" wrenches -- those six-sided, L shaped jobbies made to fit hexagonal socket-head machine screws -- as mandrels. Simply get the size(s) which fit snugly inside your chosen tube(s). The six-sided contour of the wrench shaft gives purchase on the inside of the tube and helps prevent it from turning around on the mandrel as you are dressing your tube. Remember! -- lubricate the mandrel with a coating of parafin wax before the first use. That way, as the tying thread causes the tube -- plastic variety -- to crush a bit and tighten to the mandrel, it will slide off easily when finished due to the lubrication of the wax base.
The mandrels I use for my copper tubes are the appropriate sized spring steel tip cleaner -- the kind used to clean the holes in the tip of an acetylene cutting torch. (available at most hardware stores) Those mandrels have a set of spiral ridges formed into the shaft, and that's what holds the copper tubes securely while tying. They can also be used to chamfer/bevel the end holes of the tubes to eliminate line abrasion -- no need for a tube liner.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.