Fly Fishing Forum banner

fredaevans!!!

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
I am about to start my trip up to WA trhough OR and Norcal.
Can you give me some info on how the rogue is doing and the other rivers in your area. Maybe we could meet up for a day of fishing if you'd be willing.
Thanks for the help.
David

#2 ·
Passing through

Although Fred is much more knowlegable on So. Or. waters than I, ( I learned what little I know from him) look me up as well on your way through. I am right next door to Fred, so to speak. Land line is (541) 664-3685.

JD

#3 · (Edited)
Works for me!!!!

Rogue is running at just a tad over 1900 cfs out of the dam and chock-a-block with spring kings already.

Fish count as of 5-15-03 was:

Winter steelhead: 24,710 ... most of which are on their way back to the salt.

Spring Kings: 9,270 (into the top 30 miles of river).

5-21-03 actual hatchery count (in the pen stocks) was over 3,100 fish.

So top few miles of the river is heavy in BIG fish ... but they're not all that amenable to fly rods, but you still have a very good chance of hooking a fish just due to the numbers involved. To get/keep their attention you've got to be on the bottom and stay there in your swing. As 'ugly' as it sounds, you'd do better with drift gear and long leaders.

Shoot me your fax number at frederick_evans@keybank.com and I'll zip you down the upper river maps. Depending upon your timing I'd love to spend some time with you on the river.
:D

fae

Forgot to add: Jim (JD) Jones, Nate Bailey and Bob Meiser also live in the immediate area so suspect an 'Indian Guide' will be an easy matter.
fae

#4 ·
JD- Thank you for the offer. I'd really like to meet some guys on the way up and put a face to a name. Hopefully we'll be able to meet up.

Fred- I am without a boat, and my rod is an 8wt. I have caught kings up to 50 pounds on this rod so I am not too worried about it but the water flow could be an issue. I have a versi-tip line on there with a type VI shooting head. I also have a type III if need be. I should be getting some more lines down here in a little bit too, just before I start up.
I dont have a fax number but I'll see if I can use a friend's and get back to you.
Any summerruns starting into the rogue yet?

do you guys know anything about the N Umpqua? I am planning to fish that after the rogue.

Thank you for the help. I am thinking we will get up there about the 2nd or 3rd of June. Would that work for your schedules? I am willing to arrange my schedule so we can meet up and fish.
Thanks Guys
David

#6 ·
JD- I'd really apprectiate it if you were willing to fish with me when I get up there. Could you give me an idea of what kind of fishing is going on right now?
Is there a spot up there that I can camp out too? I have my tent and sleeping bag so I should be all good.

a warning... I will have my girlfriend with me aswell, she doesnt fish much but is learning. I am hoping the crooked will be a good river for her.

#7 ·
D3Smartie

I would be more than happy to fish with you and your girl friend. What type of fishing did you have iin mind? Trout, Steelhead, Salmon? Right now the Rogue is full of spring Chinnok and out going steelhead. Springers tend to hug the bottom, rest in deep holles and attract a lot of attention from the gear fishermen. I will check on camp grounds. If I have the spare bedroom setup by the time you get here, you are welcome to cqmp at my place. When do you plan on coming? Land line phone is (541) 664-3685 cell is (541) 941-6545

JD

#8 ·
I was thinking of spending a day and a half fishing up there. A day fishing springers and steelhead, and then a half day on the "holy water"
How has the fishing been up there? I have heard that the big hatches have started coming off the holy water but i dont know if anyone has verified it.
We'll be camping the whole way north so it is no problem for us to do so. thank you for the room offer though.
I'll give you a call today or tomorrow.
Thanks
David

#9 ·
D3,

Fred, Jimmy Long and I did spend a little time on the Holy Water a couple nights ago to see if we could catch the tail end of the Mother's Day Cadis hatch.

The hatch was pretty sparce this season, due to a very cool wet May here in Southern Oregon. This past week was our first taste of Summer, and although it was one of our first beautiful warm evenings....The bite was slow.....But the conversation was crisp.

In fact in the thick of dialog, with fly swinging lazy at the end of the drift, apparently unattended, and rod cradeled leisurely in his arms...Fred hooks the biggest fish of the outing !

The fish was fought, landed, and released without a hitch in Freds storyline.

Both Jimmy and I watched and listened to the entire ordeal in admirable amazement....And just kinda figured this was Fred's own special nymphing technique.

Both Jimmy and I in later conversation agreed that this nymphing technique was actually not only quite effective, but equally entertaining !

The first signs of Salmon Flies are just now starting to show, and if you are here the first week or so of June, you should be in good shape.

It'd be fun to all get together for an afternoon.

Bob Meiser

P.S. Kinda looking forward to seeing Fred's dry fly technique !

;)

#12 ·
cantact with D3smarty

Finally got connected with Dave. Call me again when you get close to Medford/Central Point. If I am out and about, I won't be too far away and can beat it back home to meet up with you.

JD

#14 ·
JD- I'll try to give you a call next saturday or sunday when I know what my plans are going to be and when I;ll be getting up there.
Thanks a lot for your hospitality. I cant wait to get up there.
David

P.S. any suggestions for fishing spots between the Pit/Mcloud, area in Norcal and the Rogue for fishing? or should I get to the Rogue as fast as possible.
thanks

#18 ·
Hey Fred,

I dearly love the casual approach that you demonstrated, don't forget I am just an old hippy !

Richard Brautigan and David James Duncan are my heros...

And "Trout Fishing in America Charlie" is my mentor.

With a little Polly Rossborugh thrown in just for spice !

I'm thinking up coming mid week on the upper Williamson. Weds. Turs.

Bobby Quigley and Jimmy Long will be tossing flies as well....Sure would be honored with your all's presence !

You all Stay in touch.
Meiz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.