Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chest Packs?

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 ·
I put this on "Gear Talk" But I thought I'd get more feedback here!

My B-day is coming up & I've told wife I want a Chest pack OR Chest/Back Combo!

I saw & liked Professor Bodkin's (Dana's) at the Wilmington show, but I like also to hear from others? Thanks.

#2 ·
I've got a Buck's Bags and find that I stuff more crap then I need into it.

The front seperates with a zipper, has room for one large fly box on each side, tippet/ mesh pockets and smaller zippered pockets . The rear pocket is rather large, I stuffin mine
1 large fly box
1 bag of tippet & leader material
1 water bottle
1 headlamp
1 bag o' granola bars
1 kitchen sink...

I think the rear compartment on Juro's is even larger.

Good luck.

Roop

#13 ·
Cabelas also has the Sandpiper by creek Co. with the optional back pack. It's more $$, but it seems way cool!

http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998AVAOAD/IB436P

I Fixed the LINK!

#14 ·
IMHO -

The removable backpak is gold. It looks nice and roomy. Ideally, it would hold a packable rainjacket, spare spool, and lunch without feeling heavy.

I currently stow a 24 oz water bottle in the rear pack but I am going to go to a clip on bottle harness or camel bag to open that room up in the back.

When I am rowing in my pontoon boat (rowing seat) or fishing from a boat it's so nice to be able to remove the backpack. Also when I am hopping from spot to spot via car I don't need to lug anything and the backpack comes off. Sitting in the seat is much nicer without the pack.

Also think about corrosion resistance of the zipper.

#16 ·
Grego,
I thought that a chest pack was gonna be the way to go as well, I bought one this spring (orvis model). I liked the pack, but found that I only really needed it once in a while. I've gone to a Kelty Blanca backpack that I LOVE. It has a camel back so lots of cool water. It has tons of pockets and a stuff area that holds all my quick needs gear. I keep some stuff in the front pocket of my shirt (cutters, one or two flies). The rest goes in the pack. Real comfortable for all day wear (light internal frame, hip strap, all kinds of adjustment) and even has a built in rain fly for when it starts to come down. I wear it with my stripping basket and it poses no problems. I found that with the chest pack, the minute I went into a boat, it was not really useful since I just took it off and laid it down. Just a thought. I still have the chest pack, and use it for short outings when I'm gonna move alot, but whenever I'm out for the day, the back pack rules in my book.

Nick

#17 ·
Grego, I have used the Bucks bag for several years... the same one that Roop was writing about... and they are great ,But I found the best one I think at Concord Outfitters.. I wore it this weekend... It is like the Bucks. More pockets but smaller configuration.. and rip stop material. You should just have a look at it before you decide.

G
#20 ·
I've had an Orvis chest pack for 4 years and it finally fell apart earlier this summer due to corrosion. A couple of zippers went and the material began to part where the straps and the main part of the fabric came together . All that said, I think 4 years is pretty is a pretty good life span for one of these things in a marine environment. What is the life expectency for one of these chest/pack packs?
Dave Williams

#21 ·
Hi Dave,

4 years is pretty good by my standards, salt takes the life out of many items in my inventory in that time span. I've been lucky in that my chest pack has gone 5 or 6, but the zipper handles rotted off and I replaced them with split rings. I suspect that it will go another 2 seasons if I am lucky.

Aside from rods, reels, jackets, line baskets and sunglasses (which are on the edge) I don't expect much to last very long. I consider myself lucky that the Simms goretex are going strong after three, the Cortland 444 clear intermediate is looking a little old but I bought it as soon as it hit the market (hard usage), scuba boots usually last one season for me.

You raise a very good point though, it pays to be pound wise in flyfishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.