Fly Fishing Forum banner

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
:hihi: Hi, I am a new member,I really enjoy the forum, a lot of great info.I was out with JURO yesterday , at SB not many fish, but had some great lessons on my new atlantis. Hope to meet, some of you,and I hope I can contribute to the forum. Tight Lines. John

#2 ·
Hi John -

Pleasure spending a crisp fall day with you out in striper country's finest.

It would be more appropriate to say that there were a lot of fish, just not on the line :wink:

In fact if not for the lackluster tide flow I am certain all those fish loafing around every spot we sight fished would be more aggressive.

Once the tide started to push the action picked up and there was a certain fish in the surf that I wish came back after throwing the hook, or at least it's twin brother.

In any case let's plan on a follow up lesson on grass before the winter to reinforce the concepts of loading earlier in the stroke using a pulling motion starting back at the extent of the backcast, and minimizing the deflection of the rod in the forward power snap. The longest and most accelerated stroke from back to front yields the most distance, and the smallest and most compact power snap yields the tightest loop. Put these two together with a sharp acceleration and an extended stroke path and the cast will throw like a javelin over 100ft with less effort than throwing a 7wt single hander 70ft.

In any case, it was a day we'll look back on fondly on a frigid February morning while shoveling the walk.

regards and welcome,
Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.